Hey guys!
Sorry for the delay!! But please, please debrief on the ropes course!
The three questions that I would like you guys to answer are:
1. What aspects did you like about this field trip?
2. What aspects did you not like about this field trip?
3. If you were to be in charge, what would you have done differently?
Also, any other comments you have are welcome!
Thanks,
Divs
Sorry for the delay!! But please, please debrief on the ropes course!
The three questions that I would like you guys to answer are:
1. What aspects did you like about this field trip?
2. What aspects did you not like about this field trip?
3. If you were to be in charge, what would you have done differently?
Also, any other comments you have are welcome!
Thanks,
Divs
1. I loved the ropes course, as I think everyone did as well. I also loved the activities that they had planned for us on the lower course because I thought they were very unique tram building exercises. I especially thought that the nuclear reactor game was involved everybody because if one person would have left, the ball probably would've fallen. All in all, there were a lot of great things about this field trip.
ReplyDelete2. There wasn't much to not like about this field trip but the only thing that I didn't like was that our class wasn't together like as a whole. And the other thing is, that coincidentally our groups were split up almost the same way that our CASC groups were, which ofcourse is not a bad thing!
3. I really wouldn't have done much differently, maybe just some sort of arrangement so that we could all be together!
1. The field trip was extremely fun and at the same time somewhat thought- provoking and I'd definitely go again if offered to opportunity. I especially enjoyed the high ropes course aspect; I had never done anything like it.
ReplyDelete2. Personally this field trip may have been too much fun and less of a learning experience(not saying this is a bad thing). I feel like ASB lost some of its credibility after people later found out that we had "ditched school" to do a ropes course. We should find an intermediate balance.
3. One suggestion for the high ropes course is to tie the elements in to a lesson. I know on the low course especially each activity had some sort of underlying message to it, and I really liked how each memorable experience would come with a lesson. It'd be nice to get some thought-provokers while talking our fears in the tree canopy.
1. I really enjoyed this course because it gave me the opportunity to get to know some of the people in ASB that I didn't know too well since I wasn't able to attend the retreat of playdate. I think was nice to take a break and spend some time with the other commissions as well. I enjoyed all the activities and how the team leaders brought it back to how it affected our responsibilities as leaders of our school.
ReplyDelete2. I really wish this was on a weekend so our whole class could attend. I feel so much more connected(esp. with all the inside jokes going around), but not everyone got a chance to experience that.
3. In addition, in the high course, I think we should switch partners to get to know other people. On the lower course, maybe we could have more discussion time after both groups are done.
1. The aspect I liked most was the team building that we had a chance to participate in. This leadership team has been working together for almost 3 months now, and so we have begun to drift apart into our separate commissions. Full class activities like this one help to create a bond across the commissions so that, rather than being 10 different groups, we are 1 big family :D. Of course, as everyone said, trying to find a way to incorporate literally everyone might be nice (maybe during one of those Mondays that we don't have school).
ReplyDelete2. Other than a date change to a day we don't have school, there are a few helpful changes. Firstly, it would be nice if we could have worked together as a class more. I understand that there is limited area on the ropes course itself, so maybe they could do like 1 opening game and 1 closing game as a class. For example, we could have done the nuclear reactor game as two groups competing because, even though the class wouldn't be working together, we would all be working on the same goal and therefore we would have some experiences together to bring back. I feel like I got even closer to the people in my group, but there might be a greater disconnect between people who don't know each other well and were in different groups. The other change would be to choose the two groups in a more logical method than the random chance we used this year. We could make it so that people who don't get a chance to work together in class get a chance to work together at the field trip.
3. I feel like I expected more out of the low course. The high course was basically all fun and only really bonding with one person, so I expected the low course to have more activities that brought people closer together. I don't like that I'm saying this either, but maybe decreasing the time on the ropes course and increasing on the low course might be beneficial. This would allow a few more activities (for the entire class to do together) and more team building. Also, the name game was useless for us, and they really didn't need to know our names.
1. I liked the ropes course because it was completely different from what I would typically envision a leadership field trip to be like. Even though during the high ropes course I spent majority of the time with just one other person, it was fun and exciting interacting with my partner in a setting that's so different from our regular class setting. I also liked how during the low ropes course, everyone was involved in all of the activities whereas in class, the commissions usually focus on their own assignments individually.
ReplyDelete2. What I didn't like about this field trip was how our class was divided into two groups. Although it was because our class was too big for all of us to be in the same group the whole time, it would've been sick to have the chance to spend time with the class as a whole rather than just half of the class.
3. If I were in charge of this event, I don't think I would've done anything differently. I thought the overall trip was executed very well and everyone had a great time woohoo!!
1. I really enjoyed the ropes course section because it really pushed me out of my comfort zone. There was a positive atmosphere throughout the day and I enjoyed talking to people whom I had not had the chance to interact with before. Contrary to the others' opinions, I liked that the fact that we were split into two groups. It allowed for a more intimate feeling and I imagine that if we had done the activities in a large group, it would have been very difficult, if not impossible, for us to hear one another. A group of 30 is simply unmanageable for the event coordinators.
ReplyDelete2. Personally, I felt that the day was anticlimactic because I started on the high course, which would naturally be considered the "highlight of the day." The energy of the group was somewhat low by the time we were on the second or third low course game. I thought the games were interesting, but their teaching method was too didactic for me. I didn't really like the leader extracting all the life lessons from the games or asking us to share out. Near the end, I'm pretty sure the majority of us had tuned out completely. I would have much rather contemplated the lessons on the own because I'm sure we would have evaluated them without encouragement of the group leader.
3. I touched on this subject in my previous answer, but I don't think I would have extracted all the meaning from the games and instead allowed the students to reach their own conclusions.
1. I absolutely loved this field trip. I thought the high ropes course was such a blast! I have to say some parts were more challenging than others, but this only helped me and my partners bond more. Furthermore, I thought the low ropes course games were worth the time, since it really helped me connect to the profound questions that followed. I thought it was really interesting that everything brought us back to the idea that we can't do something without each other's help.
ReplyDelete2. The one thing that I really didn't like was sticking with the same partners for all the activities. Even though I loved to work with my partners, I thought it would be great to really switch it up and work with someone different, since I think different partners mean different outcomes for an activity.
3. If I was in charge, the only thing I would change is mixing up partners for each activity, so you can work with more people.
I LOVED IT! It really did promote team building with out making it corny or obvious. It was fun but I think that maybe Mrs. Badger should make the groups so we could hang with different people than we usually do. I really think that we should do this again because the on ground stuff was pretty fun too. Loved it lets do it again!!
ReplyDelete1. I had a LOT of fun on the field trip, especially the high ropes course. I like how we had to work with a partner, but I would have liked to see more group work on the high course. I understand how that could pose some safety risks though. Maybe we could switch partners every obstacle? I also liked the lessons on the low course. Although the debriefs at the end of each event got a bit repetitive, everyone who went actively participated and had something to say.
ReplyDelete2. I would've liked not having to deal with missing class-maybe we could do it on a weekend, or before school starts in August. I know that Ms. Badger was talking about doing the ropes course and then a camping trip after to promote team bonding, and I think that's a really good idea.
3. Like Brian said, I would mix up partners more!
This was arguably one of the best field trips I have ever had the pleasure of taking part in. It was extremely unique, so we didn't really know what to expect. Going into it with that mindset allowed us to experienced it with an unbiased opinion, and actually get a lot out!
ReplyDeleteIt was great to see all of the team bonding, especially in non-commission groups. In these types of field trips, the message is usually quite consistent--"have good communication, focus on the group goal, work as a team etc", it may be cool to see if we can get some completely different analytical message out of the course. This may be difficult to do, and I can't think of a way to pull it off (off the top of my head) but it might have an interesting impact on the dynamics of the class.
I think Will brought up a valid point about the "credibility" of ASB for the trip. Although I do not feel that it is an inefficient use of time, some feel that we just went on a trip for fun. It might be better (and more inclusive) if we could go on a weekend/afterschool/holiday.
I liked the field trip as a whole. Mixing up groups would have been nice, but it is something that works both ways. I thought that the team building exercises were remarkably interesting, especially the nuclear reactor one. Not exactly the highlight, but surprisingly interesting.
ReplyDeleteThe highlight of the trip, of course, was the ropes course. I wish we had more time on it (another 10 or 15) but of course some people including me had to leave a bit early. I thought the ropes course also put you face to face with some of your fears. The rope swing was remarkably difficult for me, even though I'm not really scared of heights or anything.
The credibility of the trip should not have been a problem, next time we just have to let everyone know that the trip is educational. It was fun, but it was also meant for team building.
Overall a great trip, was a lot of fun despite not having all of the class there. (We missed you guys for that day)
I know I'm super late, but might as well add my feedback for next year :)
ReplyDeletePros
-different than anything I've done before
-partner (Arnav) was super encouraging even though I kept failing at the cookies/branches
-the seclusion of the area was nice; focus remained on the trip the whole time
Deltas
-low ropes course was a little low energy (but the high course was awesome, but I am not sure if the other group felt the same "build-up" that we felt)
-if we can have people partner with people they aren't familiar with, that'd probably be better. I'm super familiar with Arnav, so it just added to our already awesome friendship, but it would have been more helpful if I had chosen a partner that I'm not as familiar with
-EVERYONE SHOULD COME!
-make sure we don't post on Facebook and seem as if we took a leadership "party" trip
I know I am super late as well, but "better late than never! Although never late is better" I really liked the ropes course! It was different from what you would think a typical leadership field trip would be (like CADA & the other one- although the other ones are great too) It was really exhilarating to be on the ropes course- i thought it looked easy and I'd easily complete it without fear but MAN I WAS TREMBLING UP THERE HAHA
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Amit, the lower level one was a bit more mellow but I feel like it was necessary to balance a time of solely having fun and bringing in the leadership aspect into it haha. I'm not sure if I got much leadership skills/ideas out of it but it was definitely super fun and I'd like to go back.
ReplyDelete1. I really enjoyed the ropes course! I would definitely do it again. I think it really helped with bonding and trusting the partners we had. It was exhilarating and it was truly a once in a life time experience. I also enjoyed the activity with the ball where we all had to work together to move it through the obstacles. It was a fun way to implement the things that we had just learned throughout the workshops.
2. I didn't really enjoy the fact that you could only work with one person in the high course because it is a leadership class field trip and we should be learning how to get to know and trust the entire class. Also, the low course was a lot less climactic especially for the people that did the high courses first but I did think it was a good balance of fun and education.
3. If I were in charge I would change the structure of the program to somehow not make the class split into two separate groups because then we will be able to learn these skills and implement it as an entire class.