Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Halloween Spirit Week Debrief

Hi everyone!

For each event you joined in or spectated for Halloween Spirit Week, can you please provide us with thoughts for improvements?

Also, feel free to suggest new ideas for games that we can do next year!

Our goal was for the students to know who their Recognition and Spirit commissioners are, and to get excited for Halloween.


Thanks,

Recognition and Spirit

11 comments:

  1. I think the Halloween Spirit Week was great and the games were really fun especially the pumpkin walk! One thing I think we can improve for next year is publicity. I feel a lot of people were confused and not aware what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall, the Halloween Spirit Week was a success. The only thing I would suggest is to publicize the events a little more. Everyone was excited for the pie-eating contest, but at least among the people I know, no one knew which event was going on for which day. The finding of the pumpkins for candy was also pretty popular, and at least for the beginning of lunch, the top of the quad was packed with people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm just going to comment on a couple things because I don't want to "steal anyone else's thunder"
    Pros:
    1. Some of the events involved large groups, so that made them more inclusive.
    2. The events were fun for those who participated.
    Cons:
    1. People wanted better prizes, specifically for the costume contest where the prize was a picture.
    2. Many people didn't know what was happening, so maybe more promo, and earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like there wasn't enough promo for halloween spirit week, so maybe think of more creative ways to get the word out.
    Also, try and think of ways to involve a lot of people rather than just a couple in your activities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed that there wasn't much of a crowd during the parade/other activities, so maybe publicize more, as said before. Another area of improvement could be to provide clearer information; some people didn't really know what event was on which day and what the guidelines were for the activities. However, judging from the feedback of people who did show up and participate, the games were fun and inclusive. Great job spirity/recog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Overall: Positive vibes- everyone I know who participated had fun and I think people did get to know who you guys were.
    Pros:
    1. Creative ideas, but low maintenance, so didn't take too much time.
    2. Halloween Parade was a success- the office staff were adorable and drew a big crowd.
    Deltas:
    1. Promo promo promoooooo! I think that as a class, we really need to work on promoing each other's events. While clicking "join" on an event is great, it's our responsibility as a class to let our peers and friends know about the event by word of mouth. While videos are the best way to promo, there just isn't time to do that for all of our events, so we need to talk about a sustainable solution for this. (HINT: PRs WF BLOG POST).
    2. Prizes for those who won the Halloween parade- just candy/something simple, but it needs to be there.
    GREAT JOB GUYS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the Halloween Sprit week went great!
    Pros"
    1. The Games were great and super easy to pick up on! I really think the parade was a fun and exciting way to get people pumped about costumes. So, that was a great idea. Also, I think the games had a good balance between games for the entire school(candy corn guess and pumpkin finding) and games for a handful of people to play while the other people watched(Pumpkin Pie contest).
    Cons:
    1. I think the fact that a lot of the games and activities were during lunch effected the turn out of students because many of them leave during lunch. So, maybe for next year it might be better if they were done during brunch.

    Good job guys!(:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since one of the goals was "to get excited about Halloween," I think that the spirit week should build up to the parade and that the pie eating contest could have been moved earlier in the week. Enthusiasm would inevitably fall after Halloween. In regards to suggestions for the Halloween Parade next year, I think that offering more exciting prizes and having clearly defined categories that are sent out ahead of time would boost student participation. Additionally, I think having teacher judges would be more interesting/legitimate instead of setting up a panel of leadership kids. Good work Recognition and Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The people who were actively participating in and aware of the event had a blast. It was great to see that many people did dress up on the day of Halloween. Anna's points about the parade are valid, and sum it up quite well!

    The pie eating contest was a great idea, it's always hilarious to watch other people shove their faces into messy food. In the future, I would recommend organizing the contest in a more visible location... I was standing right next to the table, and I could still barely see who was eating what/what was going on (maybe bc i'm too short :::(((), but once the mob built around the table, it was almost impenetrable. Maybe the middle of the quad... or have a ring of caution tape around the competitors, so they don't get pushed and shoved?

    Overall, great job guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think there was enough promo for Halloween spirit week. I felt like a lot of people found out about the activities day of. (I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing but maybe if it was promoted earlier, more people would be more aware which results in more participation)

    A suggestion for the pumpkin walk is maybe to put more numbers out there. This is a great game and I noticed a lot of people wanted to participate and people started fighting over for spots. I also noticed that people didn't leave after each round. If they didn't win, they didn't leave and other students weren't given a chance to play. I think if you put more numbers out there, it would allow more people to play.

    Overall it was a great event and I think you guys did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know the debrief for this is already done, but once again I'll post for next year's benefit!

    Pros
    -more planning went into this than last year, so it wasn't last minute

    Deltas
    -I think we need to choose more events that are spectator events, so instead of doing something like a pie eating contest, we can do a "pumpkin throw" where partners have to throw a small pumpkin back and forth without breaking it (don't know if this would be a safety hazard with admin)
    -If we could involve the staff in some way by giving them jack-o-lantern cookies on Halloween that'd be cool; get them more involved
    -As everyone else said, more promotion outside of Facebook and on campus the week before

    ReplyDelete