Friday, November 22, 2013

Movember Debrief

Hi Everyone!

Today marked the final day of our first Man of Movember Pageant. We appreciate any feedback that you may have regarding the activities and promotion. Additionally, please give us suggestions for Movember activities that you think will be effective in future years.

We had two main goals for our Movember campaign:
1. Raise as much money as we could for the Movember Foundation
2. Promote class spirit and provide entertainment through quad activities

We're not sure when we'll have our debrief since we only have three days of school next week, but in the event that we have to debrief on Tuesday, we want to be prepared - please give your input by Sunday at midnight so we have time to look at the responses! We appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,

Community Link

18 comments:

  1. Definitely think that the first goal was accomplished :) I felt coin wars was one of the most successful aspects of the entire pageant, and the way it was setup at the top of the quad with the white board and signs was ingenious, it really looked like a lot of effort was spent on it.
    Likewise movember promo was good! The giant mustache man at the top of the quad was like a constant reminder of the month.

    Having the mobros go around and take pictures with people was really clever too, next time try getting cameras though! (btw, will those be printed and posted onto the mustache)

    I wasn't able to witness the majority of games due to IDC practice :(

    Great job though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought that the Coin Wars fundraiser was one of the most clever ones I've seen, and this year was no exception; it's amazing how much money we were able to make with just coins (and some bills). Promo was pretty good too, but I felt like people were kind of drawn away from everything going on because of IDC. However, we did make do with what we had, and I saw that more and more people came out to watch the activities throughout the week.

    Concerning the Man of Movember Pageant, I do have an issue. While I think that most of the events were fun and entertaining, I don't think that we should do the catwalk in heels in the future. I spoke with a couple of the pageant-ers, and I know they were pretty stressed out about finding heels in their size and not tripping while walking in them - a feat that even girls can't master sometimes (esp. since that day was kind of wet/rainy). Maybe in the future we can replace it with something else?

    As I said before, I do think that class spirit was promoted well, since people came out more as the week progressed and cheered louder. Everyone got really into Coin Wars and starting bringing jars on the last day as well. I also really enjoyed the pictures with the MoBros around campus, because I think it really involves the entire student body, because we sometimes have an issue of being too exclusive. Overall, great job Community Link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regretably I was at Fantastics for nearly every activity, however, this is just a little of what I think.
    Pros:
    1. Definitely raised a lot of money!
    2. Also raised a lot of awareness! A lot of people knew about Movember this year.
    Deltas:
    1. People wanted the MoCase back, or at least some sort of night activity. Honestly I think that the whole pageant might have gone better if it was on one night because the way it was done right now kind of dragged on and didn't leave people as excited as it should have.
    2. I think leadership in general needs to talk about promoing. We were mass promoing Movember, Fantastics, AND Winter Formal at the same time so people in the student body got annoyed and stopped paying attention to us. This will most likely affect our promoing for at least the rest of this semester. We can maybe dedicate some days to one event, some days to another or something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I think we can all agree that you guys accomplished the first goal! I agree with Sophia, I also think that coin wars is one of the most clever fundraiser

    2. I was at IDC for most of the time, so I only got to catch the end of the heel walk. I don't have any other activities to compare the heel walk to but I thought the heel walk was super funny and entertaining.

    Suggestions:
    I really like Arnav's idea that the pageant should be a night activity. This way you can even add more activities. Maybe modeling suits (promo for winterformal??). As an incentive to go, maybe you guys can do a donation from community link. For example, if 50 people from the senior class go, then community link will donate $50 to the senior class towards their coin war. Or you can even charge admission that goes to their "coin war bucket", the more people from each class go, the more money their class gets. Another idea is not announcing daily how much money each class has and instead announce it at the pageant (if it's at night) so people will be more inclined to go and find out results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first goal was easily achieved. Students generally don't like to donate for the sake of donation, so competition between classes was a huge incentive. There was always a crowd gathered at the top of quad, so this aspect of Movember was a huge success.

    I don't think the activities during lunch promoted class spirit. The student body is scattered throughout the campus during brunch and lunch, so there were maybe 100 people from each grade watching the activities. The contestants didn't seem as though they were representing the class; as a result, the people watching the activities didn't feel a connection to the contestants. I'm not too sure how this could be improved. I thought the talent show and catwalk were extremely fun and entertaining, but the Q&A was too slow-paced so no one was paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you guys did an awesome job in raising money! To raise $1000+ dollars through coin wars is amazing. Kudos to you two for capitalizing on Lynbrook's innate competitiveness.

    Pros
    -talent competition
    -coin wars and fundraising on Thursday was hilarious
    -promotion: people definitely knew that Movember was going on
    -don't think that class competition was an issue for coin wars
    -I saw a lot of people growing out facial hair especially in leadership, so it was good that people were on board

    Deltas
    -timing: I think Arnav is right in saying we had way too much promotion for three different things going on and that people were getting sick of it. Maybe next year we can delay IDC to second semester and start wf promo after Movember is finished
    -it was difficult to hear the events going on in the quad (especially Q&A) and people lost interest
    -did you need help in counting the coins? Remember that anything you need help with we can do :)
    -class presidents should choose people that aren't necessarily already involved with asb activities and can grow substantial facial hair, get more involvement from outside the usual group

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. We definitely achieved this goal in my opinion. Since it was a competition, it was more pressure to donate money for people and that helped a ton in motivating them to donate. I am so glad that could raise this much money and I really also enjoyed the setup we had around the coin tubs (whiteboard with $ amount per class, different mustache styles, etc.)

    2. I think that this went WELL, although not exceptional. We could've done more promo and made a nicer display for all these activities, instead of just putting like a table at the top of the quad. That wasn't such a big deal but rather the promo. I know that at least the freshman didn't even know that half of this stuff was going on so there would've been a lot more attendance if we hyped up about it. I heard someone mention in class having the Mobros dress up and put on makeup and heels and walk around promo-ing the event going on that day and I think that that's a great idea. Overall, it was fun for the people who actually watched, but we could've expanded the promo for a better turnout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though I wasn't able to make it most of the days because of fantastics practice, the one day I was able to see a little bit, it seemed like the turnout was fantastic and a lot of people enjoyed cheering on their class and the "humiliation" of two of their classmates. Walking around and taking pictures was also really cool. All in all Movember this year was a fantastic experience for all the students and the school as a whole considering the amount of money we raised as well.
    Awesome job Comm. Link, looking forward to next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Though we definitely reached the first goal, I think it doesn't hurt to try to aim for more next time and use how much we earned as an incentive to do better.
    2. the Mocase was LOTS of fun but going off what many of the people above said, I think we need to promote it in a different way to get people to come out during lunch. If night time activities doesn't work, then I think we should try to move it to brunch because I think most people come out to brunch activities. To get classes more pumped up about this, there definitely needs to be some sort of incentive for classes such as a prize for the class that is the most spirited and donates the most.

    Another thing that Mr. Bale was mentioning to me was that sometimes he had to come and set things up all by himself, so we needs ASB kids to be on top of set up!

    Overall, GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys did a very good job promoting this event! There were posts on Facebook as well as email blasts.The buckets were out every day during brunch making it super accessible, and so within the span of the two or three weeks you guys were able to accumulate a little over $1000. It was easy for students to donate and the whole concept of a class competition made it that much more appealing to donate. I feel like you guys also excelled in promoting class spirit. Last Wednesday, Link Crew had a "Lunch With Your Leaders" event. During this event, I asked all of my Link Crew kids what they thought about the two lunch events that happened earlier that week and they all said it was funny. Like a couple others, I personally did not have the chance to watch the events that took place during lunch because I had fantastics practice, however from what I heard, you guys did an overall wonderful job woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Compared to last year, Movember this year was definitely better! I seriously enjoyed the activities, and we ended up raising $1000+! That's awesome! I'll get straight to the deltas now:

    1. I feel like last year, having Mario brothers as mascots for each class really helped the class unite under a character. This year, it was more varied and I was unsure which class was Mr. Potato Head, Pringles guy, and Guy Fawkes. Having a board at the top of the quad that said juniors under Wario, seniors under Waluigi, freshmen under Mario, something like that would be better for unity, I feel. Having the class united could lead to even more money!
    2. We had way too many events concentrated in that one week. I mean, we had Halloween Spirit Week two weeks before, Fantastics Qualification a week before, and then both promo for Fantastics and Movember and Winter Formal that week. If we could spread it out over the month by working with the different commissions in advance, that would be a lot better.
    3. The email blasts and constant FB posts were definitely good, but once again the Lynbrook HS 2013-2014 group had waaay too many ASB posts in just one day.
    4. Consider a coin counter or something as way of counting all the money because it must have been a pain if you counted by hand.
    5. Having lunch activities was a good plan, but consider playing music during brunch or the choir singing like they did last year as ways to keep the excitement.

    Good work! I hope the next event is as good or even better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. I am sure you reached the first goal of raising a good amount money. I saw a lot of coins and bills coming in for each class. At one point some classes had a giant lead, which means either a lot of coins or bills were put in. It was really good, so I don't think there is any need for improvements to be made yet.

    2. I thought there was a decent amount of spirit around the campus. It was also enjoyable to watch the quad activities. An improvement could be handing out some fliers to let people know about the activities because there were still big groups that stayed far from the quad. Making a video on what Movember is about before the actaul month can also raise awareness and excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with everyone that the first goal was achieved! Great job community link!!! I agree with arnav's idea of using tuxedos, I think it would be great. This year I think we could have improved on class promotion and bringing the school as a whole. I feel there could have been more promotion for the pageant. I also think instead of having a pageant every day, it would be better to have quad games for everyone to participate in instead of having pageant activities everyday. On the final day, I think you should have the pageant to wrap everything up. I feel that the pageant was dragged out and it wasn't as exciting after the first/second day. I thought the facebook promo was good, but I think we should focus on promoting movember not just limited to facebook. Overall good job Community Link :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to address some things we discussed during the debrief!

    I definitely agree that we should make it more inclusive for the school as a whole in terms of the activities during brunch/lunch.

    Promo wise, I know we had a lot of things going on but I think we can be more strategic with it rather than just push WF promo to the end of movember because I think it is actually really important to start WF promo early. Even as early as we started ours, cupertino and homestead already had their pictures and event page up before us and their event is on the same day. I think movember promo should really start the week before november starts to get people pumped up and use that week and then maybe the first 1 or 2 weeks of november to also promo it. As for IDC, that date could always be changed so even though we had a hard time this year, I believe they can find a better time next year.

    As for the combining mocase and pagent idea, I like that however I am still not sure how many people would show up after school hours and pay to watch something? But I do believe it will be way more organized and clean if it was held separately outside of school hours because there is time to prep and have everything ready!

    ReplyDelete
  15. First off, great job to Community Link for bringing in a new event that we took from CASL!

    In terms of pros, I think that we definitely made a significant amount of money to donate to Movember. People have definitely gotten the hang of what Movember is and what the profits go to!

    Publicity was definitely over Facebook and I think the quad buckets and photos with the MoBros were nice as well. For the pageant, I think the idea is great and can be further expanded upon. One idea would be to have the student body vote for the MoBro winners and to add more interesting activities for them to compete in that also involve outside students. For example, we could have students asking the MoBros questions or finding a way to involve people other than the 8 guys!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr. Erwin needs to convince his wife to let him grow his mustache out! Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  17. You guys meet both goals so great job!

    I really enjoyed the Mr. Movember pageant and it really helped with promoting the event in a fun and exciting way. The only thing that I would change is maybe making more or some of the events during brunch because a lot of students leave during lunch so they really miss out on the activities. I also liked the taking pictures with the Mr. Movember because it really allowed them to talk to students one and one and promote it on a personal level. I had a few people ask me how the Mr. Movember's were chosen because they wanted to participate so it would be a great idea to open it up for next year!
    But overall GREAT job community link!(:

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all, I mustache you a question... HOW WAS MOVEMBER SO GOOD THIS YEAR?! I mean, compared to previous years, the awareness, participation, and care were much much greater. PEOPLE REALLY GOT INTO IT! I know I did! I was rocking a Kanye West original circle beard. You can see an example here: http://style.mtv.com//wp-content/uploads/style/2012/12/kanye.jpg Kanye's the man! But yea, I think in the future the mo-case should be better prepared by the participants, cough cough, ajay shenoy. It was funny though, loved it y'all

    ReplyDelete