Saturday, October 26, 2013

Spikefest Debrief

Hi guys,

We would like some feedback on what you guys thought of the spikefest tournament. Please make sure to include what you liked/didn't like and how we can improve it for next year!
 

Thanks guys <3
ASB athletics

12 comments:

  1. Pros:
    1. run very smoothly
    2. advertised fairly well
    3. people liked the tanks!
    4. there was a lot of positive energy
    5. the staff, as always, were a major hit!

    Cons:
    1. Aaron Huang was straight up OP. Though we can't technically do anything about that, maybe in the future we can send a general notice out to all players that they should try to avoid blowouts by taking varsity players out when they are significantly up. This is specifically true for the staff game!
    2. Refs need to know the rules better and be more decisive with their calls
    3. Maybe make the final game between the student games longer as well
    4. Figure out prizes for the winning team. We aren't allowed to get gift cards reimbursed anymore by law.

    GREAT JOB :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job.
    Positives: Energy, crowds, people enjoyed playing. Games went well.
    Deltas: Ref (aka me) had no clue what they (me) was doing.
    Overall a good event, I enjoyed watching and laughing a lot at the staff vs. student game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I was completely oblivious to its existence last year, I don't really have any standard to compare this year's Spikefest to.
    With that being said, I thought that you guys did an amazing job!

    Pros: 1) Energy, people obviously enjoyed watching/playing
    2) TEACHERS game was universally enjoyed and loved
    3) Advertisement (not sure about this one, it could be just because I was oblivious last year).

    My only con is that I think the refs could have had more of a hold on the game; sometimes, they would make a call but once the players argued the call would just be overturned or something else similar would happen. I think the best way to solve this would be for refs to have more "training" before hand... that would probably help refs be more assertive.

    But in general, Spikefest was a really exciting event and was great to watch with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Athletics Homies,

    Spikefest? More like Spike-FESTIVAL. No but for real, it was hella fun! I think everyone genuinely had a good time. The only suggestion I would have for next time is to try and have some more publicity for the actual games and not just sign ups, but other than that, it was beautiful.

    Much Love,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pros:
    Great atmosphere and good hype.
    The tank tops were very well designed too, props to whoever designed those!

    Deltas:
    Definitely agree with what's been said about refs being "trained" earlier just to avoid confusion. It also looks a lot better on ASB's part when we actually know the rules to a sports event we're hosting ^^

    I don't think the prize was such a big deal since I think just winning Spikefest is enough of a prize, but it'd be a nice bonus.

    It would've been nice for an intercom announcement on Friday telling the whole school that the teachers would be playing students.

    Overall good job Athletics! You made my first Spikefest very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought Spikefest was a lot of fun. General feedback about what I liked was:
    - event was smooth, not as many complaints about judging like last year
    - clear instructions to register, etc
    - good promo! a lot of people knew about the event

    Some things to work on would be setting up ahead of time so players can play longer and contacting the vball team to help out with nets. Another thing that not many people knew that the teachers would be playing on Friday so maybe ask them to do a little shout out at the end of class?

    Otherwise, great job guys! I was really impressed as to how much of the student body was on board with the event.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great event and definitely successful!

    Pros:
    -Smooth games, good timing, clear instructions
    -Good team distribution (upper vs underclassmen & girls vs guys)

    Deltas:
    -Not enough promotion, because there was only a facebook group, nothing more
    -Once again, refs didn't clearly know rules so I pretty much relied upon the teams to ensure that everything was correct

    Good job on the teachers/students game! It was a well-executed event in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought it was an exciting event!

    Pros:
    - Good spacing between two courts. The games weren't interrupting each other.

    Deltas:
    - As mentioned by a couple other people, the refs need to be trained better to understand the rules.
    - Promotion should be done more, since one facebook group was not enough to reach out to the whole school. I think posters would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought Spikefest went well!
    It was much more organized with knowing who would play on which side and limiting the number of balls that were out on the courts. There also wasn't as big of an issue in regards to time!

    I think we could add more promotion to the event or find a way to get non-players involved in watching more than just the teacher's game like have a designated area for watching/cheering. I also think we could clarify rules for refs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spikefest went well, in my opinion!
    I think that there was good hype, especially over facebook about the players and the games, which is definitely good because it means that the school knows whatsup

    However, I think that there can be more promotion dedicated at pulling people to come and watch and maybe more schoolwide promo? Like i dont know but maybe we can coordinate cheers for teams and just do fun things directed at getting the crowd pumped!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about the previous post -- I accidentally posted too early!

    Everyone has already given important feedback, so here is some feedback from a money/treasurer standpoint.

    Next year, Athletics needs to do two things regarding payment:
    1. Set the price higher or design something that is only one sided or has one color to reduce cost and make money from the event
    2. Make sure that the money deposit is done quickly so that Athletics has enough money in its account to make the purchase! Order the tank tops ASAP so that you don't have to pay extra money like you did this year. If you are using BrandU custom design, make sure that you ask for some sort of "return customer" discount, because we use them more often than not when ordering apparel.

    P.S. The staff vs. student game was awesome.

    ReplyDelete