Hope you all had a great three day weekend. We would like to get some feedback from the Homecoming Rally this past Friday
Be sure to include:
- What you liked and why you liked it
- Things that could be improved and how they could be improved.
All feedback is appreciated and we hope you had just as much fun as we did!
ASB Spirit
ps- Yes I did just copy the same post from IDC and HC Dance ;)
I had mixed feelings about the Homecoming rally, because I didn't really understand the rules that we incorporated this time. I was under the impression that we only had to sit down during Valks + Cheer and just stand the rest of the time, but other people thought that we had to sit whenever we weren't cheering, so maybe make the general rules a little more clear. Adding onto that, I don't really understand the concept of sitting down during the performances if the classes are just going to clap and cheer anyways. Overall, I didn't really care for the new signs policy, but maybe that can be attributed to my unfamiliarity with it. Finally, the sound system still needed a bit of work; I know that I struggled to hear what was happening at times.
ReplyDeleteHowever, the skit was great and the video was amazing! The games were inclusive and fun, and all in all, it was a pretty solid rally. Go spirit! :)
This is why classes should only be allowed to cheer at specific times, and not randomly as they are still doing. The speakers can only be pushed so far.
DeletePros:
ReplyDelete1. I hear that the video was very good (though the court was outside so we didn't get to see it).
2. The audio was working well.
3. The games were very inclusive.
4. The school-wide cheer worked very well and is something I would recommend keeping in all rallies.
Cons:
1. In the future, hopefully spirit commissioners won't scream as much at Homecoming because we couldn't understand everything that was said with the voices cracking! (even though it was hilarious)
2. The first game was good, but it was super hard to get everything back, and some of the stuff went missing, so it is probably something we don't want to try again.
3. The second game was a great idea, but next time we just have to make sure that all of the language is appropriate.
4. The classes need to understand that there should be no form of waving hands or similar actions during performances. Maybe even say that points will be deducted for that (but don't actually deduct points). There was a lot of confusion on whether we got points for that because it was the first time, so hopefully we can clear the issues up in the Spring rally.
Leggo spirit!
Pros:
ReplyDeleteA lot of students LOVED the sing-along game they thought it was super clever. I think it was a great way to involve the entire classes in the game instead of one person. Also, one of my friends said it should be kept for all of them, make it a tradition(:
The Microphones worked great this time!
The Video was great as always!
Cons:
The Sitting thing did not work out. The people that were holding the signs didn't know when the classes were suppose to sit down. So, the classes were sitting down when they didn't need to. Also many people said it killed the fun and spirited vib of rallies. Also, someone else said that people were still doing hand motions during the performances so it did not really change the fact of just paying attention to the performance. It was a great idea though and I totally understand why you did it!
The scavenger hunt was fun and super creative but it didn't really involve everyone in each class. Like the students on the top bleachers couldn't really get involve and didn't really know what was going on.
Good job spirit! Keep it up!(:
I thought the sing-along and scavenger hunt games were really clever. It included the ENTIRE class rather than just one or two people within the class. The video was great, as usual. I felt like the vibe of this rally was very supportive of not only their own class but other classes as well. Some people gave really positive feedback on the sitting down DURING performances.
ReplyDeleteThe only con from the game is the senior song choice. A lot of teachers thought it was bad that there was a cuss word in it. I think it was a good effort to implement the sitting but it needs to be clear when the classes need to be seated. I think officers were confused when the class should be seated and the class found it annoying that they kept on being asked to stand up and sit down.
Pros:
ReplyDeleteFinish the song game. - Boosted participation because most of the people knew the songs and enjoyed singing.
Audio systems. - A lot louder than the first time.
Video. - Grabbed everyone's attention to the rally.
Cons:
Sitting, standing, cheering, and quiet signs. - It helped in the beginning, but it was still a little out of hands as the games and performances started.
Scavenger game. - The rules were a little confusing, and the people in the back didn't know what was going on.
Song choice. - The song game needs to have songs that don't include swearing.
Pros: Finish the song game(as said before) although I wasn't really sure how that game was being evaluated. Was it amount of lyrics, volume, accuracy?
ReplyDeleteGreat rally though :)
Cons: The scavenger hunt game. I still have no idea where all the freshmen stuff went(I know quite a few guys who offered their belts and I'm not sure if they ever got them back)
Suggestions: I really liked the whole Mr/Mrs.Viking acknowledgement from the first rally and there had actually been a ton of helpers who I wanted to thank(and was hoping to do so through Mr.Mrs.Viking). Could we bring that back next rally?
Pros:
ReplyDelete-Song game...for me it was the absolute best part of the rally!!! We can make it a tradition for HC rally; don't repeat it for next one since there is rally dance anyway
-Good theme of whole class participation throughout rally (plus the "who are we" song)
-Video was fun way of getting people excited
-As always, the entrance of court was awesome!!! yay homecoming
Deltas:
-Scavenger hunt game was really difficult to judge/know rules for...people thought the results were for the canned food drive. I think we should scrap it for future rallies
-Beginning was confusing with class shout outs..we thought that you were going to go around from freshman class to seniors but stopped at 2017. But that's probably just us getting a little too excited
-I didn't like Mr. Dwyer's speech at the beginning of the rally..I think it takes away from the fact that the rally should be centered completely around students. Maybe we can convince him to not do it for next rally
Pros:
ReplyDelete- The video intro was great! Thanks for including the captions again.
- I felt a greater sense of unity this rally. The song game and "Who are we?" chant contributed to this.
Deltas:
- Personally, I didn't like Mr. Dwyer's speech at the beginning of the rally. Because everyone is so pumped up and ready to scream, the excess talking really took away from its efficacy. People weren't being respectful, and it seemed that he spent more time "shh-ing" everyone than actually talking. Speeches are great, but it didn't fit the overall rally environment.
- I understand that the scavenger hunt game was supposed to incorporate the entire class, but I didn't see that happen. Only the front-middle section really participated and the rest of us were confused as to what was going on. I would take out these types of games unless there were clear directions and each participant somehow had a way to communicate with the rest of the class. Perhaps we should have projected the objects on the screen.
- There was major confusion about when classes were supposed to sit down and stand up. Classes continued to do the unified hand movements during performances and like at previous rallies, I found myself not watching them and more focused on following along with the rest of the class. In the future, you can either clarify this issue with class officers or just revert back to the old system when we stood up the entire time.
- There was good effort in implementing the signs, but many sign-holders didn't understand the rules and showed them at inappropriate times.
- I don't know how this could be fixed, but I find it a bit frustrating that I can never hear the names of football players or people on homecoming court.
I think a simple Powerpoint with instructions for games, names of individuals, etc. could really help clear up confusion.
Overall, I thought that this was a great rally. Thanks for all your hard work!
Pros:
ReplyDelete1. LOVED the games. The song game included the entire class, and I know that a lot of people really liked that. I would, however, make the criteria more clear. I think we can have this every rally.
2. Speakers worked really well- I could hear you guys the entire time.
3. Video was beautiful (holla at neil!) and I loved the subtitles. It made it much easier to follow along.
Deltas:
1. If we do the scavenger hunt game again, we need to figure out a way to get people's stuff back.
2. Sign holders need to be clear on when to hold up the signs.
3. We need to make sure classes know that hand movements aren't allowed during performances.
4. I love Mr. Dwyer, but his speech took away from the high-energy vibe of the rally. Maybe he can help pump everyone up instead!
5. Song lyrics shouldn't be questionable in any way.
Honestly, this was my favorite rally so far! GREAT JOB SPIRIT ILY.
I also, like many people mentioned above, had mixed feelings about the rally.
ReplyDeleteThere was a lot of new things that you guys tried and I admire Spirit for trying to incorporate new ideas into Lynbrook rallies. Just for next time, it would be a great heads up if the classes knew what the new "format" was so they know that all their cheering is happening at one time and other things like that.
On the other hand the song game was an absolutely fantastic addition to rally games. It was amazing in bringing out school unity among different classes. I think that this should be game that is done at every rally just because in a time of competition it helps the school to kind of come together.
The song choice could've been a little better in terms of the lyrics but it happens.
The scavenger game was really confusing for almost everybody. Since I was the person that repped 2015 for that game I could tell that only 20-30 people in the front were involved and everyone else towards the back of the bleachers were either confused or couldn't do anything about their confusion because they couldn't help in playing the game. In this game, cheering only helped make it worse so that was something that could be improved because rallies are all about cheering.
All in all, awesome job to spirit for putting on one heck of a rally. Awesome new ideas, and it was a blast!
Props to spirit for incorporating school unity without it being overly cheesy. I liked how you guys incorporated the song with the whole school in particular. I liked the song game and the idea behind the "items" came because it got everyone involved but it was hard for everyone to see what was going on from the top of the bleachers. Also, I know that it was new this rally, but I felt/talked to my peers and they said they didn't like the new format with sitting down because it "killed the vibe" of the rallies. During the performances, people still continued to wave their arms and clap along. I feel that everyone should be allowed to stand up but it should just be made clear to the judges not to include this part in the score. I also thought that the skit was a little hard to follow but that could be attributed to the noise issue. There were a few awkward pauses that left the classes confused as well but once again, great job for pulling off the rally despite all of the chaos of Homecoming!
ReplyDeleteOkay first of all WOO SPIRIT.
ReplyDeleteWhat I liked: The whole aspect of unity was great.
In general people liked the games that involved more than one person. THE SINGING ONE WAS SO MUCH FUN. Also, an overall Lynbrook cheer is really unifying and heartwarming. Of course, the video was amazing. Sound worked a lot better than last time. I liked that everyone sat down to be honest.
What I didn't like:
First of all, I think you guys need to prepare the script just a little bit better. It was a tad bit noticeable that sometimes you guys were improvising and I get that the overall rally wasn't too affected by it, but it came off as a little hesitant. I'd say memorize the lines at least a week in advance. As for the games, I think Spirit needs to think about all the "what ifs" that might happen. There were fun games, but we just have to be careful!
I liked this rally's format for Homecoming because it focused more on school spirit rather than class competition, and I think that school spirit is pretty important for Homecoming. It was awesome that you guys tried some new things, and these are some things that I've heard from my class/some of my opinions:
ReplyDeletePros:
-The sing-along game was awesome and really incorporated the participation of the whole class.
-Some people really liked the concept of sitting down because we could actually see and appreciate the performances.
-From what I've heard, the video was pretty amazing!
Deltas:
-The scavenger game was good as well, but it didn't incorporate the whole class as much. It mostly was the people in the front participating, because we couldn't yell loudly enough so that the people in the back could hear what we were looking for and what was going on
-Many people were confused with the new format of the rally, and all the sitting and standing was a bit confusing because people didn't know that the format had been altered.
-Lots of people from my class didn't think that the speech that Mr. Dwyer gave at the beginning of the rally was necessary and felt that it killed the general enthusiasm that people had for the rally.
-Some people didn't like sitting down, because they felt that, like Mr. Dwyer's speech, it killed the energy a little, and also it was a bit hard to sit down because of all their backpacks in the way.
This is more related to Recognition, but like Will, I liked the idea for Mr./Mrs. Viking, though I do think that could be explained more to the whole school so they know what's happening.
All in all, I thought it was a great rally and really ended Homecoming week nicely. Great job Spirit!
One of the best rallies so far!
ReplyDelete-school unity with the song game! loved it so much, but yes check the lyrics
-for SET UP: i still don't understand why students who aren't officers are to be kicked out of the gym after 8pm. i feel that that is basically saying that class officers are on their own and you aren't allowing for more class involvement esp. when we are willing to stay and help out
-i really liked that the games are really different than what we have done in the past!
-the presentation of court was nice! except it was a bit loud to hear the names
-good working sound system this time!
-i couldn't hear the names of the football players as they came in
-i agree with anna's point about projecting the items on the screen so that the whole class can see and be involved.
This is sort of the perspective from the entire 2014 officers:
ReplyDelete- I feel like even though we werent judged on cheering during the rally, people basically did the same thing that they normally do standing up. If we want to change that, thats something we need to agree on as all four classes, because if the people in the class see it as a weakness if one class isnt doing that, and it really ruins their own class spirit.
- We also felt that the speeches at the beginning should be announced beforehand so that people know that there will be a speech. It was just kind of awkward when we were trying to get everyone quiet since no one knew what was going on. It really looked bad.
- The first game was messy, and it's hard to communicate what we need for those items. You need something easy to communicate, and something that doesn't leave the rest of the school wondering what's going on. Something like the SECOND GAME! - which was a great improvement by the way and I loved how it involved the ENTIRE CLASS rather than just 1-2 people. It was really fun honestly, and I think that, in my opinion, that was one of the best rally games I've seen.
-I felt the presentation of the court was kind of awkward since it was announced right after the shoutout to the freshmen. Upperclassmen weren't sure whether their princes/princesses would come out then, or later.
- School unity came out pretty nicely overall, but I still think we can encourage football way more. It just seemed really anticlimactic when the football team came out, so that's something that we can build up a bit more to. One specific thing to note about that - was there music playing when the football team came out? I didnt hear anything!
- WE LOVED HOW Sasha and Kelly came out during the class meeting and talked to people about how the rally scoring works. The transparency of it made our class feel comfortable with the rubric, and understand what it's all about. Try and do that on a schoolwide level guys! You don't have to release the rubric, but take on more of an authority figure with all of this!
- Final thing which doesn't really affect you guys: PLACEMENT OF THE RALLY DURING HC WEEK?? It was IMPOSSIBLE to do it after the senior HC. If you even saw any of the officers during setup/the morning of, you would agree too.
YEAH SPIRIT!!!!
The rallies keep getting better.
ReplyDeleteThere was definitely more school unity at this rally while still maintaining a level of competition between the classes. I wasn't in the crowd but people said the item game didn't include everyone in the class. They liked the song game though. I think finding more games which include the whole class would be a good idea. It was apparent that spirit had screamed a lot in the gauntlet because they were all losing there voice. However I am impressed they were able to convey there energy without talking as much.
I thought the rally was great. Every class had tons of energy, despite a long week of homecoming. The spirit commissioners did a great job despite losing their voices. I loved the song game, it seemed like a lot of fun for everyone. Bit of delay on sound cues, but that can always be improved. Overall a great rally :)
ReplyDeleteSorry for the late response! I thought that in general, the rally was better than the last one (which was already very good!).
ReplyDelete1) PRO: Although the new rules about staying quiet during various points of the rally may have taken out some excitement from our class, it was clear that the signs we were given helped us quiet down our class MUCH more efficiently. So if these rules are going to become a permanent addition to the rally, these signs definitely will come in handy.
2) CON: First game. I want to start with what happens AFTER the game first, since I think it was the biggest problem. I had the same problem as Will: after the game, the bags with possessions were never returned to the underclassmen classes. I think it's necessary for the bags to be returned to (if not the President) some officer so that we can make sure that everyone gets back their possessions efficiently.The game also seemed pretty confusing, and hardly anyone in my class knew what was going on; maybe I just couldn't hear it, but I think repeating the instructions to the school as a whole a few times could help. Also, only a few people were involved, but I think this can be mainly attributed to the fact that so many people were confused.
3) CON: Shout outs. This might've just been my class, but I feel like some of the shout outs to the Homecomings of classes started with "semi-shoutouts," causing large portions of the class to awkwardly roar and then die out. Then, when the dialogue built up to the actual shout out, the roar would be much less spirited than it would be normally. It's difficult to describe, but this was definitely the case with one of the shout outs to our class; our entire class started stomping feet, but it just sort of awkwardly died down when the Wonderland references ended. The actual shout out happened 30 seconds later, but the class had already cooled off by that time. Maybe leaving less time in between the start of the reference and the "actual" shout out would help.
4) PRO: The song game! I'm probably just reiterating things that people have already said, but I thought that this kind of game (involving the whole class and the whole school) was a wonderful addition. I hope more unity-oriented games like this are included in the future.
5) CON: Song Game (Part 2): However, I think the song choice could be better; most noticeably, the class song for the Seniors contained an explicit word, depending on the version, and about half the class said the word. I think this could happen to any class, so I think being careful about song choice would be really important if this type of game was repeated.
OVERALL: This rally was a spectacular success in terms of school spirit, which is what rallies (and Homecoming) is all about. Great job, Spirit Commissioners!
-The video was great, as usual. I don't know how it could be improved, but I have full faith in Neil and the Spirit commissioners!
ReplyDelete-The games were very different in that they involved the entire class instead of just one or two individuals. I thought it was a great idea, especially the song game. If games could involve more people, I think that'd be really good. The scavenger game was fun while it lasted, but afterwards, I know that some people did not receive their items back, so maybe better organization would be beneficial in the future.
-The shou-touts to the classes were a little bit confusing because the theme of the classes were announced before the classes themselves (Oz before Juniors, Wonderland before Sophomores, etc.). People wouldn't know whether to cheer after hearing their theme or to wait until they heard their class name. I think the class name should be the first sign to cheer to avoid confusion.
But overall, great job Spirit! Your creativity and hard work never ceases to amaze, and I'm sure everyone has noticed how great rallies are this year.
Awesome job, Spirit!
ReplyDeletePros:
1. Video was great--Neil, you rock! The sound was good too, and the subtitles helped understand it more. I liked that we sat down/stayed still while watching it, it allowed us to focus fully on and appreciate the vid.
2. Games were super inclusive! I absolutely loved the song game. It was great that the entire class could come together to enjoy a particular game, as opposed to the same two or three people every time. Comments around campus reflected that it was more of a class unifier than the class shoutouts/cheers!
3. I liked the efficiency of sitting down while watching certain performances/videos. Personally, I would prefer to stay standing (but not move), just to keep the energy level up, but sitting down worked fine. It really allowed us to appreciate the performances.
Deltas:
There really wasn't much that I didn't like about this rally! I just thought that the beginning was a little bit awkward (bc only the freshman got a shoutout), but the rally really picked up after that. Maybe you can add one or two more class shoutouts? The first game was a little difficult to manage, and some people may have permanently lost their belts/lipstick/shoes. If we want to do a game like this in the future, we should just have a designated location for people to pick up their belongings afterwards,
Overall, great job spirit! Keep it up!