Hi everyone!
Hope you all had a great three day weekend. We would like to get some feedback from the Homecoming Dance this past Saturday
Be sure to include:
- What you liked and why you liked it
- Things that could be improved and how they could be improved.
All feedback is appreciated and we hope you had just as much fun as we did!
ASB Social
P.S. If it wasn't obvious, I copy & pasted Rani's post because she basically covered and said everything that I wanted to say and ask LOL THANKS!!
Social! I was at ticket sales nearly the entire night, so my feedback might not be as relevant to inside the gym.
ReplyDeletePros:
1. The waffle line was literally there the entire night until they ran out. Definitely something to consider for all dances, depending on how much profit was made.
2. I heard a lot of positive feedback on the decorations. People liked the overall layout with the entry way having the major class decorations, and the tables on the side.
3. People liked the light show behind the DJ.
4. There were a lot of people who watched the movie.
5. The line for the photobooth was never ending.
6. There were so many pictures of Facebook. People pretty obviously enjoyed themselves.
Cons:
1. There were many points when the pre-sale line was longer than the at the door line. Part of the reason for pre-sales is to skit the line (or at least that is what I thought) so it would be helpful if we added 1-2 more stations to check-in pre-sales.
2. I know I put this in the pros, but the unending photobooth line was also a con. This detracted from the actual "dance." Two work-arounds would be to close the photobooth at a certain point or to get another photobooth.
3. We need to better communicate the fact that doors close at 9. Many students, some part of leadership, were not aware of this fact, and so they had to be turned away. There were at least 3 groups that weren't allowed in.
4. Clean-up and set-up took a while. I know that there were many leadership students who came to the dance and did not stay for clean-up, and many students who signed up for set-up and never showed up, yet there were students who were NOT in leadership helping clean-up and set-up. I think that we need to make sure there is more accountability for leadership students. This isn't social's fault, its just something for which we have to designate consequences for not showing up or dropping out at the last minute. It was a similar issue with volunteers not showing up for ticket sales and for waffle sales. This might be a conversation for the ASB officers and Mrs. Badger.
5. Various people complained about there being too much smoke, so maybe turn fog machines off at some point in the night.
6. The balloon drop kind of failed because people kept pulling on it. Next time if we do one, we need to figure out a way of getting it well out of reach from anyone but us.
In terms of the DJ, I heard many people saying that they loved AMP, and many students saying that AMP was terrible. I think that we need to figure out how many people didn't like them, and see whether they should be kept. We must keep in mind that people are almost never content with a DJ, so unless there is a clear majority against AMP, I would say that we should keep them.
All in all, another ASB Social success :D
I don't know how the rest of the dance was because I was on the waffle stations the entire time, but the waffles were a big hit! I thought it was a little random at first, but it turned out to be a great idea. We should definitely include waffles and other food items that we can make ourselves for the other dances as well.
ReplyDeleteSome things I liked:
ReplyDelete-WAFFLE STATION: A lot of people enjoyed eating them and watching Jimmy and I make them.
- Music: I thought the music was pretty good. They had popular songs playing but also had remixes that made them more original. Maybe 1 slow song?
- Decorations: Everything was pretty solid. Balloon arch was amazing-- it made the gym a lot more epic to walk into.
Deltas:
-Path when walking into the gym: the thing was torn up my the end of the night. Maybe use thick tablecloths or a reusable fabric next time?
-Photobooth: the line looked a little long, so maybe have two next time? or just another photo opp in general.
-Food: Although the waffles were absolutely amazing, we would need more people to help and more precautions. Also maybe offer a variety?
Overall, great job! Very smooth set up and clean up. I'm proud of you Social! <3
Homecoming dance YEAY!
ReplyDeleteSo, yes I went and I was not working at a station. Personally I LOVE to dance, so I pretty much didnt leave the gym unless I needed water. lol.
1- I didn't get any waffles:( I heard they were AMAZING and the line was endless even though I was skeptical to begin with. HIT! Would recommend doing something like this again.
2- I also didn't go to the photo booth simply because the line was too long:( wish I did though.
3- decs and lights were amazingly beautiful! I loved the christmas lights and the giant dragon as we walked into the dance. It set a great vibe.
4- The balloon drop was a fabulous idea and looked cool when it dropped, but right afterwards the gym just sounded like chaos of popping balloons because kids feel the need to pop them>.< looked awesome
5- Eshan blows my mind. I gave him like 27 hugs that night. The light set up was magnificent and his song mix was awesome. I am a huge fan of edm and the music he was playing which I understand people disagree with me on, but we cant please everyone. In general, it was easy to dance to and varying and no awkward pauses. GO ESHAN ! <3
6- there was a movie playing? ...where? ... I had no idea... Im curious how many students actually sat down and watched a movie though.
I had a great time and I think everyone else there did also. Best HC dance by far in my opinion! GO SOCIAL! :)
- Sasha WOOFTON lol
Pros:
ReplyDeleteThe Photo booth was really popular and fun.
The lights in the gym were really cool and made the gym look awesome.
The Music was really good!(:
Cons:
The Movie idea was great but no one was really in there watching it.
Some people said the gym was too smoky from the smoke machine.
But overall I think the dance was great!(:
But overall I think
Pluses:
ReplyDelete- I liked the new lights because they added to the dance atmosphere, photo booth was a huge hit and good publicity for future dances, waffles/water sold were nice for hungry students, movie/chairs outside the dance appealed to especially underclassmen.
Deltas
- The photo booth line was super long and many people spent the majority of their time in the line. It would be better if we could have someone enforcing how many photos are taken/allow each person to take one photo, etc.
- The balloon drop was a cool idea but I felt like it was very anti-climatic and people were more excited to pop the balloons.
- I, personally liked having AMP DJ and felt that it was the equivalent to a professional DJ at other dances. Some requests I heard were more slow songs, less hip hop.
- Maybe play two movies since once the first one ended, a ton of people came flooding out of the auditorium without anything to do.
Pros:
ReplyDelete1. Waffle station - The waffles were delicious and everyone there said it was definitely worth buying when they saw the portion and the cost of it.
2. Movie - A great add-in for the people that found dancing to be boring (even though it's a dance).
3. Music and lights. - The lights were a blast and the music choices were something that people could agree to.
4. Decoration. - The pathway was well thought of for the HC theme.
Deltas:
1. Fog machine. - It completely blocked out the decoration. Some people thought it was hard to see in there.
2. Balloon drop. - It just made the majority of the people pop them even though it was pretty cool.
3. Photo Booth. - People enjoyed it so much, that the line was building up, and it seemed forever to get to the front. I suggest changing up the rule for it (ex. limit one person to 2 uses).
Pros: The light show and decorations/overall setup of the gym was sick. Were those lights ours or the DJ's? Regardless they added to the ambiance in a positive manner, definitely keep those for future events.
ReplyDeleteI think the fog machine helped define the laser lights and such, I didn't think it was too bad in the regard that it blocked people's vision.
I would comment on the balloon drop if only I hadn't missed it :(
The yearbook photo opportunity was well run/setup. One recommendation I'd have is to make it known what the background of the picture would end up being after the green screen was edited out.
Cons: Slow Songs. The freshmen at the dance with dates were looking forward to do couply things besides freaking/grinding. I was under the impression that Homecoming was at least slightly a date-oriented dance, and assumed that there would be some slow dancing. At least one slow song would've been nice(perhaps at the end of the dance?)
I think it was posted somewhere or in an announcement that there would be a food truck at the dance so some people didn't eat dinner before, expecting to get food at the dance, but the food truck never showed up.
Pros:
ReplyDelete-Everyone raved about the waffles
-DJ lights looked really awesome! Made it seem a lot more mature of a dance
-Decorations rocked. ASB work beforehand helped holla
Deltas:
-Smoke machine made gym feel like Asia...was uncomfortable for those of us not freaking. We should be careful with that because I think it was a staff decoration?
-People did not show up for their shifts and we had to ask non-leadership people to help out...absolutely unacceptable on our part
Overall it was great. Hollza @ social
I couldn't go to Homecoming...booooo I hate SAT boot camps. But I did hear a lot about the dance from my friends!
ReplyDelete- Personally, I thought the Homecoming fashion show was held way too early. I think it would generate more interest if it were held, say, a week before the dance. At that time, more people would be talking about it.
For dances like Winter Formal, the fashion show can be held earlier, since there is so much planning that goes into it and people need to be convinced earlier on.
- People really liked the photobooth, although I heard that the line was very long. I saw so many photobooth pictures on Facebook the next day! We should definitely look into buying a photobooth as it would definitely get put into use for many years.
- I heard the waffles were delicious! Props to Jimmy and Rani :)
- Everyone that I talked to was impressed with AMP's dj-ing. We should definitely stick with them for future dances.
Great job social! Wish I could have been there and experienced everything for myself.
Pro-
ReplyDelete1. The movie was a great edition, it attracted lot of people to come and watch.
2. The food and especially the waffles were absolutely a hit, I saw a lot of people hanging out and eating waffles.
3. The photobooth as usual was great hit among all students since there was always a long line by the booth.
4. The decorations were also a big plus. It was great how you guys decided to use select decorations from different classes. It looked really really nice.
Cons-
1. A lot of people from leadership that were supposed to show up to work did not show up.
2. The smoke in the gym was a little too much.
Pros:
ReplyDelete1. At first when we were setting up and I saw the waffle station, I was a little unsure about them, but then during the dance, there were so many people eating them. It was a great idea!
2. The DJ lights were so good! It made it easier for people to dance and have fun.
3. I liked the fog, but I think we probably should have turned it off at some point so that the gym wasn't so foggy.
Deltas:
1. The black butcher paper for the photos and the entry to the gym got completely ripped up. I'm not really sure what type of material would be more sturdy but still relatively cheap though..
2. People who signed up for shifts didn't show up, which made Social very stressed and forced us to ask people not in Leadership to help out.
I was at the ticket station for 3/4 of the dance so here is it from my point of view:
ReplyDeleteTickets:
-people were a bit confused where the pre-sale line and the paying line was
-a lot of people were hanging around the front gate from time to time, instead of enjoying the dance
-not everyone showed up for their shift
-people did not know that doors close at 9pm so a few had to leave without getting in
Dance:
-photobooth line was never ending (heard most people stood in lines during the most of the dance)
-the waffle line was never ending! however by the end everything was really messy (batter was everywhere)
-fog made everything really cloudy
-i liked that the professional photo station was open till the end of the dance (previously they have closed at an earlier time)
-DJ sounded good and lights were good
-balloon drop looked cool but there was a series of popping right after
-i liked the decoration! the display of the stars and homecoming decs
-i knew some people who wanted to keep their stars, but they got thrown away):
-people kept saying there aren't that many people dancing, but it's up to them to start dancing as well to add to the crowd?
Overall i liked that there were more things to do at the dance then just dance and great job social!
I will, of course, have a a somewhat biased opinion. That being said, here is what I felt:
ReplyDeletePros:
-People liked the photobooth
- Decorations were good
- Lights
- Waffles (although some people were expecting dinner)
Deltas:
- Butcher paper entrance way ripped
- Tell people when the cut off time is
- Get more photo booths, or have a ticket system too limit the number of times people go in there.
From a DJ's perspective:
- Keep the food closer to the gym if its possible so they don't hang around outside.
- Show short films not whole movies that take up nearly the whole dance.
- No other fog machines, although that's not likely to happen again.
- If people have a request, come tell us, we don't bite. Do, however maintain a degree of professionalism. We are your friends but we're also working. If we don't get to your request don't take it personally.
I felt that formal dances should be more dance than other activities. If someone is spending so much money to go to a dance. The idea of other activities is good, but they shouldn't become the main attraction. For something like the welcome back bash, though, that would be fine.
Deltas: Butcher paper, Lines for waffle/ticket booth, the amount of people stood inside the photography club photo booth was crazy all night. Fog was a bit much, but made the lights look better.
ReplyDeletePositives: Lights, music, waffles (who was supposed to be running it? I know it mostly was Mira, Rani, Jimmy and I running it, but we filled in for whomever was supposed to be doing it) The photography club photo area was popular, the photobooth was popular, the movie was a nice addition to the dance.
Overall a good dance, didn't see too much because of being around the waffle place for 90% of the time.
YEEE GO SOCIAL!
ReplyDeletePros:
This has been mentioned multiple times above, but WAFFLES and LIGHTS! People really enjoyed eating the waffles, and it was good to have a random breakfast food there... The lights looked great in the gym, although I didn't really spend too much time in there.
Deltas: I agree with the whole point about the butcher paper. It looked quite shabby by the end of the night. Maybe we can use the thick black tarp/gardening material? The line for the photobooth was really long. I know photobooths are expensive, so maybe we can figure out a way to regulate how much time a certain group is spending in it?
The movie was a hit, but it might be better to show a few shorter films/episodes so people don't spend all of their time in the auditorium.
Great job overall!
First of all, GREAT JOB SOCIAL! The dance was great :)
ReplyDeleteWhat I liked: I loved the decorations. I know that these are primarily the decorations of the classes but I felt that the way Social used them were great. I personally really liked the fog machine. The lights also were amazing and really gave off a good vibe. I never got to eat a waffle myself, but from what I heard, PEOPLE LOVED IT! I think that we should try more kinds of foods at dances that are a little more innovative. Of course people mentioned the photobooth, but I'dlike to reiterate how fun it was. And I enjoyed having tables outside just because if one needs fresh air, he or she can sit back and relax. Personally, I thought DJing was great!
What could be improved: Alternate activities are great, but it is driving away people from the dance floor. I completely agree with Eshaan that if we decide to do a movie maybe it should be something short so that kids will feel inclined to go and dance. I know that we are trying to promote to the likes of the underclassmen (primarily the Freshmen) but I feel like high school dances come with maturity. If we keep trying to make it catered to the Freshmen, we loose upperclassmen attendance which is significantly greater.When there are not that many people on the dance floor (freaking or not freaking), no one feels inclined to dance.
Overall, wonderful job :)