For me, Club Info Day seemed like a huge success. I thought that the spacing of the clubs were really good, because I could actually tell which area belonged to which booth. There was also enough space to walk. The information that was presented by the members of a club were all communicated coherently as well. The only downside is that some poster boards only have tiny words saying when the first meeting is, so you can't really see it. Overall, I thought this event had a proactive atmosphere and everyone displayed interests in certain clubs.
I thought that club info day was a great way to let students know about the opportunities on campus.
I have two minor suggestions. 1) Post the map onto fb or have hard copy maps around the quad so that students know where the club they're interested is. 2) Have the DJ/music club a bit quieter, the speakers made everything a lot harder to hear.
Pluses: 1. The layout was great! It definitely maximized the usage of the Quad 2. I believe that the large sampling of clubs was great for the students. 3. From the perspective of a club officer, the information was well communicated and definitely showed strong organization coming from the clubs commission. 4. Overall, I think that the event itself and how it was run was very smooth in terms of what the clubs commission could do. The deltas below, for the most part, may not be what clubs commission has authority over.
Deltas: 1. Some of the clubs were definitely displaying a lack of integrity in their attempts to gain members. For example, AMP was playing music extremely loud, and when students went up to ask them to decrease the volume, either they refused, or in isolated incidents they increased the volume. Also, Robotics was standing in front of the booths of other clubs, directly telling students not to join the club they were in front of, and to join Robotics instead. I am not saying that this is an issue that should be taken up with Robotics/AMP. I think that this is an issue that can be addressed by ensuring that club officers/members stay with their booths. Figuring this out may take some brainstorming ... 2. I did hear some of the smaller clubs on campus complaining about the fact that Breakdance, AMP, and Robotics get an unfair advantage over the other clubs because they all have the ability to make a more appealing exhibit than other clubs (Breakdance's dancing, AMP's music, Robotics' Robot). Maybe we could limit all clubs to having a table and nothing extra? 3. The numbers on the map and the sign-up sheet should maybe have some sort of order (Sophia :D) 4. An idea that I know many of the clubs will not like (including Athletics Unlimited), but may be beneficial, would be to remove the ability to hand out fliers. Personally, I noticed a lot of extra fliers and papers lying around campus on Friday due to Club Info Day. The majority of these papers serve as the club's opportunity to give the students something to remember the first meeting date by after the insanity of club info day. Maybe instead we could link all students to the clubs page on the website which already has this information? This would decrease paper wastage and work for the custodians. 5. I heard many students concerned that there was a decrease in attendance at club info day. Personally, I was not at a vantage point to see this, though I did notice a lack of congestion that is usually there. I believe that the info day was fairly well advertised, so I'm not sure what the reason for that is.
Overall, the event was a great opportunity for new students to learn about the clubs around campus. There was definitely ample space for people to walk around.
Deltas:
1. Like Arnav said, the music was too loud. I found myself practically yelling my pitch at times.
2. Like Will said, a map outlining the booth locations would be helpful. Some people already know what clubs they're interested in but can't find the booth to find out more. Another idea that might take some time would be having PR paint posters for clubs to hang on the tables - just names, nothing more. It would be somewhat of a favor to the clubs, but I'm sure clubs would appreciate it.
3. There was a lot of trash laying around after everyone left, even after it was announced that clubs needed to clean up. I think clubs need to be held accountable for their actions and clean up after themselves. If they don't clean up next time, maybe they shouldn't get a food club day table.
Thanks to the clubs commission for doing a great job!
I thought Club Info Day went well, but these were some of the deltas that I heard: 1. Some club officers wanted the more "popular"/bigger clubs to be more spread out around the quad so that there wouldn't be lots of traffic in one area and also so that when people went to the bigger clubs displays, they would also be able to see what smaller clubs have to offer. 2. There were a few complaints about Robotics taking up tons of space with their robot/throwing frisbees around in the quad (and apparently hitting a few people accidentally) Other than that, great job Clubs!
Club info day was great! Like a lot of the people above said, although the spacing of the clubs were great, all the popular clubs were too close together. This kind of left the smaller clubs in the dust. I also think that maybe we can have signs for the clubs (obviously they will make them) because it was hard to find the ones that I wanted to go see specifically. The posters should be placed high above the booth. I also like the idea of the map. We can post a big one or we can email a map to teachers and they can post it on their whiteboards. I personally like the latter.
Overall, wonderful job clubs! It was nicely organized and you guys put a lot of work into it :) It was a success!
Club Info day went smoothly, but here are the things that should be changed for future days: 1. Robotics was firing frisbees from their robot which was great advertisement for them but got in the way of people. Also, it gave them an unfair advantage, because they had a robot faceoff and also had their monkey mascot roaming around. 2. I know that the table next to Pre-Med's space was empty, meaning that neither of the two clubs were using it. I'm not sure if it's because the clubs didn't come or what, but that table was unnecessary. 3. I agree to Arnav and Anna's comments that too much trash was left over. We can simply not allow the clubs to hand out flyers or ensure that they clean up the space around them to reduce the work for the custodians.
For me, Club Info Day seemed like a huge success. I thought that the spacing of the clubs were really good, because I could actually tell which area belonged to which booth. There was also enough space to walk. The information that was presented by the members of a club were all communicated coherently as well. The only downside is that some poster boards only have tiny words saying when the first meeting is, so you can't really see it. Overall, I thought this event had a proactive atmosphere and everyone displayed interests in certain clubs.
ReplyDeleteI thought that club info day was a great way to let students know about the opportunities on campus.
ReplyDeleteI have two minor suggestions.
1) Post the map onto fb or have hard copy maps around the quad so that students know where the club they're interested is.
2) Have the DJ/music club a bit quieter, the speakers made everything a lot harder to hear.
Pluses:
ReplyDelete1. The layout was great! It definitely maximized the usage of the Quad
2. I believe that the large sampling of clubs was great for the students.
3. From the perspective of a club officer, the information was well communicated and definitely showed strong organization coming from the clubs commission.
4. Overall, I think that the event itself and how it was run was very smooth in terms of what the clubs commission could do. The deltas below, for the most part, may not be what clubs commission has authority over.
Deltas:
1. Some of the clubs were definitely displaying a lack of integrity in their attempts to gain members. For example, AMP was playing music extremely loud, and when students went up to ask them to decrease the volume, either they refused, or in isolated incidents they increased the volume. Also, Robotics was standing in front of the booths of other clubs, directly telling students not to join the club they were in front of, and to join Robotics instead. I am not saying that this is an issue that should be taken up with Robotics/AMP. I think that this is an issue that can be addressed by ensuring that club officers/members stay with their booths. Figuring this out may take some brainstorming ...
2. I did hear some of the smaller clubs on campus complaining about the fact that Breakdance, AMP, and Robotics get an unfair advantage over the other clubs because they all have the ability to make a more appealing exhibit than other clubs (Breakdance's dancing, AMP's music, Robotics' Robot). Maybe we could limit all clubs to having a table and nothing extra?
3. The numbers on the map and the sign-up sheet should maybe have some sort of order (Sophia :D)
4. An idea that I know many of the clubs will not like (including Athletics Unlimited), but may be beneficial, would be to remove the ability to hand out fliers. Personally, I noticed a lot of extra fliers and papers lying around campus on Friday due to Club Info Day. The majority of these papers serve as the club's opportunity to give the students something to remember the first meeting date by after the insanity of club info day. Maybe instead we could link all students to the clubs page on the website which already has this information? This would decrease paper wastage and work for the custodians.
5. I heard many students concerned that there was a decrease in attendance at club info day. Personally, I was not at a vantage point to see this, though I did notice a lack of congestion that is usually there. I believe that the info day was fairly well advertised, so I'm not sure what the reason for that is.
Overall, the event was a great opportunity for new students to learn about the clubs around campus. There was definitely ample space for people to walk around.
ReplyDeleteDeltas:
1. Like Arnav said, the music was too loud. I found myself practically yelling my pitch at times.
2. Like Will said, a map outlining the booth locations would be helpful. Some people already know what clubs they're interested in but can't find the booth to find out more. Another idea that might take some time would be having PR paint posters for clubs to hang on the tables - just names, nothing more. It would be somewhat of a favor to the clubs, but I'm sure clubs would appreciate it.
3. There was a lot of trash laying around after everyone left, even after it was announced that clubs needed to clean up. I think clubs need to be held accountable for their actions and clean up after themselves. If they don't clean up next time, maybe they shouldn't get a food club day table.
Thanks to the clubs commission for doing a great job!
I thought Club Info Day went well, but these were some of the deltas that I heard:
ReplyDelete1. Some club officers wanted the more "popular"/bigger clubs to be more spread out around the quad so that there wouldn't be lots of traffic in one area and also so that when people went to the bigger clubs displays, they would also be able to see what smaller clubs have to offer.
2. There were a few complaints about Robotics taking up tons of space with their robot/throwing frisbees around in the quad (and apparently hitting a few people accidentally)
Other than that, great job Clubs!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteClub info day was great!
ReplyDeleteLike a lot of the people above said, although the spacing of the clubs were great, all the popular clubs were too close together. This kind of left the smaller clubs in the dust.
I also think that maybe we can have signs for the clubs (obviously they will make them) because it was hard to find the ones that I wanted to go see specifically. The posters should be placed high above the booth. I also like the idea of the map. We can post a big one or we can email a map to teachers and they can post it on their whiteboards. I personally like the latter.
Overall, wonderful job clubs! It was nicely organized and you guys put a lot of work into it :) It was a success!
Club Info day went smoothly, but here are the things that should be changed for future days:
ReplyDelete1. Robotics was firing frisbees from their robot which was great advertisement for them but got in the way of people. Also, it gave them an unfair advantage, because they had a robot faceoff and also had their monkey mascot roaming around.
2. I know that the table next to Pre-Med's space was empty, meaning that neither of the two clubs were using it. I'm not sure if it's because the clubs didn't come or what, but that table was unnecessary.
3. I agree to Arnav and Anna's comments that too much trash was left over. We can simply not allow the clubs to hand out flyers or ensure that they clean up the space around them to reduce the work for the custodians.