Monday, September 30, 2013

CASC Debrief!

Hey all!

For those of you who went to CASC, it'd be great if you could answer the following questions:
1. What is one thing you learned from the conference?
2. What did you enjoy about the conference?
3. If you were leading this conference, what would you do differently/How would you approach leading this conference?


11 comments:

  1. 1. From this conference, I learned how important communication really is, mainly from our get across the square game (idk the name). I also learned this from our don't touch me game, and I think we improved as a class greatly in our communication skills.

    2. I enjoyed spending time with everyone in this conference, especially while learning new things. Doing team-building activities really made me get closer to my group (GO TEAM B!!), while also allowing me to meet new people :)

    3. If I was leading this conference, I would probably try and get the members of the audience more involved. I know that we did team-building activities, but there were some times where I zoned out or it was hard for me to stay focused because the leader just kept talking. Maybe they could have done a question-answer period or a more interactive leading style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. What is one thing you learned from the conference?
    The most important thing I think we learned from this conference is how to efficiently run a meeting. I thought this was the most significant because every commission wants to have their breakout time. If people keep talking, or the class goes off on their own conversations, it's really hard to get what we really need to talk about done.

    2. What did you enjoy about the conference?
    I enjoyed the square game and the "don't touch me" game. I thought both those games really tested our communication as a class, and even as a school. Not only did I realize how important communication is, I also learned how important it is to listen to others and collaborate to come up with an even organized and efficient way to do something.

    3. If you were leading this conference, what would you do differently/How would you approach leading this conference?
    If I was leading this conference, I would probably put more activities to keep us engaged in the workshops. I found myself getting bored and zoning out quite frequently when there was no activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. What is one thing you learned from the conference?
    I learned about mediating conflict using the I-messages, which I think is really applicable in all of our lives. By describing the conflict in such a way that the person whom you are confronting will sympathize with you rather than get defensive, you already have them on your side. In the context of leadership, I hope to apply these skills if any conflicts arise during meetings or when planning events.
    2. What did you enjoy about the conference?
    I enjoyed the icebreaker activities in the morning (FRUIT SALUTE!!), and the "Don't touch me" game. The icebreakers helped get everyone comfortable with one another, and the don't touch me game was fun, but still had a deeper meeting. In addition to communication, we were able to understand team work and apply some of the meeting running skills that we learned earlier that morning. I also got closer to the Lynbrook kids in my cluster, so that was nice!
    3. If you were leading this conference, what would you do differently/How would you approach leading this conference?
    I felt that a lot of our enthusiasm waned after lunch. It was really difficult to refocus during the Event Planning workshop, and I wasn't really paying attention. The presenter probably had a lot of great material, but she wasn't doing much to get our attention, so I was easily distracted and influenced by the antics of the people around me. I liked the team-building session because the activity in the middle got us more involved. I might introduce more energizers too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. One thing I learned from this conference was how much everyone matters when working in a group. Sometimes it may be easy to tune some people out however everyone has a different perspective on the matter and it is crucial to keep an open-mind so that new ideas and new ways of thinking aren't overlooked in the process of getting things done.

    2. I enjoyed the fact that we got to interact with kids from other schools who are also involved with ASB because it allowed us to share our ideas with one another and see how they approached different issues. It also forces us to step out of our comfort zones, which is much more realistic as it pertains to a real-life setting.

    3. If I were leading the conference, I would start it off with more mixers and leadership games because it seemed as if we could have gotten a little more comfortable with the other schools before we broke out into smaller groups. However I do like the overall structure of the convention and I would try to maintain that if I were in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. What is one thing you learned from the conference?
    The whole "I-message" structuring of talking instead of "U-Messages" was something I easily understood and related to.
    2. What did you enjoy about the conference?
    I didn't learn as much as I had hoped from the student instructors and workshops themselves, but I did have a blast getting to know (most of) the ASB team.
    3. If you were leading this conference, what would you do differently/How would you approach leading this conference?
    I would've tried to have gotten a larger range of different schools to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. What is one thing you learned from the conference?
    An effective planning method. Often we like to have a narrow mind and think methodically and to the norm. I learned great ways to think outside the box and implement those new ideas to a structured planning process.
    2. What did you enjoy about the conference?
    I LOVED the atmosphere. I love how everyone is open and friendly and very high energy spirit. I also really liked talking to the spirit commission from piedmont high and learning how they do things different or similarly. The games were great and a learning experience and in general it was fun! :D
    3. If you were leading this conference, what would you do differently/How would you approach leading this conference?
    I do agree that at times the talking, or as someone in our group said "lecturing" from the staff was a little repetitive and difficult to stay focused on. I liked the split into 4 groups; that made the mingling easier. It would be more diverse with different schools though. Also, I would try to turn down the joking manner just a bit. In our group (D with Divya) it was TONS of fun, but towards the end people began to start yelling things and some derogatory remarks. And people sarcastically used the I-messages as a way to insult someone. ---that awk moment the advisor and student got into an "i-message style" argument in front of the whole group...--
    otherwise, I learned a lot and had a GREAT time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned the method of narrowing down choices, like the n/3 method.
    The conference was lot of fun and very informative. I felt like they did an awesome job of lowering the "comfort barrier" as the head guy said. It allowed everyone to open up before we even started learning or doing anything.
    I would try my best to eliminate those awkward silences. Other than that everything else was great!
    RAKA SHASHA

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. From this conference, I learned how to properly brainstorm. I already knew that when brainstorming in a group, it's always important to have both a facilitator and a recorder, however I did not know that being one of the two came with so many different responsibilities. I also learned how to efficiently take notes (alternate earth colors, highlighted colors for bullet points, etc).

    2. I loved the energizers and mixers! They were all fun and it was a good way to get everyone to participate. It was fun to interact with leadership kids from other schools because they had a couple of positions that we don't have. Everyone was super friendly and I'd definitely want to go to another conference similar to this one!

    3. If I was the one leading this conference, I would've definitely tried to get more schools to attend. There were only three schools there today, and one of them had more students present than the other two schools had combined. I also would've planned a couple of ice breaker activities rather than just energizers and mixers. Though majority of the conference was spent with the same people, my group didn't introduce ourselves until the very last workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. What is one thing you learned from the conference?
    One thing I learned from the conference were the "I-Message" and "U-Message" methods used to communicate during a conflict. I thought it was easy to identify the difference of the outcomes when using one versus the other. I believe it would really help in the future for communication skills between our commissions or class.

    2. What did you enjoy about the conference?
    I thought the meeting was really fun when it came to the energizers and mixers. I liked the way everyone took part and created an active atmosphere. These activities helped me get to know more kids from other schools as well, so that was a big plus.

    3. If you were leading this conference, what would you do differently/How would you approach leading this conference?
    If I was leading the conference, I would definitely do some formal introductions in order for everyone to get an idea about the people around them. I would also make the sub-group workshops more interactive with more games or activities. Finally, I would push for more schools to attend, because there were barely 3 schools there this time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. I learned two important things: the concept of "I-Message" to resolve conflicts at meetings and the facilitator/recorder structure of CASC meetings. It seemed to be pretty effective at the conference, and we can see how it works at ASBO meetings. On a side note, I learned some pretty fun mixers, like FRUIT SALUTE!

    2.I enjoyed meeting people from other schools. I met one girl that I had just met on Saturday afternoon, and it was nice to solidify that relationship for the future.

    3. I would try and get more people to attend the conference -- the attendance was just us and Piedmont Hills (and St. Elizabeth to an extent), so it made for a lot of awkward silences and school clusters. If there were more schools and a wider variety of perspectives, it would have been a more enlightening conference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I learned alot about how to lead a successful discussion, key word being successful of course. It helped me come to realize how everything is effected if a discussion is not led accordingly.

    2. I really enjoyed the subjects each seminar contained as I feel they apply to each person. The only one I did not like was the problem solving one as I do not feel it can be used in real life without the other person involved thinking you are coming off as piest and bigger

    3. I felt the leaders weren't equally prepared leading the listeners to get frustrated with the ones who were not prepared but also with the ones who kept talking over others. I did not feel the people leading it had practiced WITH each other and that was a key tool I felt that needed to be added.

    ReplyDelete