Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Master Planning Facilities Renovation Comments

Hey guys!

If you have any feedback about what you liked about the layout Mr. Dwyer presented and/or what you think needs improvement, please comment below! Make sure to make constructive comments (comments with substance) such as suggestions for what students want or don't want or how you feel buildings should look like.

6 comments:

  1. To commenters:

    Please keep in mind that the purpose of the Master Planning committee (especially for this first draft) is to develop an overall plan of how buildings and structures will be changed and moved for various reasons (hence the word Facilities as part of the name).

    Therefore, try not to be too detail-oriented in what you say. I know things like the swirly bench/table structures may seem more interesting, but try to focus more on buildings or other large changes.
    That's what will help us out the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really want to seem like a killjoy here and I don't even know if this is something that will even be considered, but I was just wondering if this renovation is necessary? From the presentation, I really didn't see much of a point in this much external change that will basically cost us millions and turn the school into a construction zone for the next 10+ years. I was just wondering if there was any way that this money could possibly be used for internal improvements, like new books or a larger variety of classes.

    Of course, I can see some of the benefits, like what Mr. Dwyer said about the re-pavement for people with disabilities or a larger work space for people interested in liberal arts and such, but I just don't see the point of something this grand. I think Lynbrook should be attractive because of the opportunities we offer students, our high academic ranking, and our excellent staff, instead of things like a more "welcoming" entrance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all the ideas are fantastic especially the wave tables. With that said I have to suggestions, one being that there should be some restrooms located inside these big two story buildings so we don't need to sacrifice any of the new buildings in order to place bathrooms.
    My second point is one that I didn't bring up during the discussion. I am not trying to voice an opinion that is solely based on my discretion but also that of a couple student athletes and even PE teachers. By the looks of it, even though there is a new state of the art facility being built for the new weight room, I am afraid that this will be much smaller than what is already there. I also think that making a new weight room with treadmills and other stuff takes away from the sole purpose of the weight room- weights. Also avaliability will be a big issue if we get all this new equipment and then the weight room is always locked. Another thing that I noticed on the plans was that the girls locker room is nearly being cut into less than half. Compared to the guys locker room, the girls locker room is almost one third in size, which does raise some questions for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely concur with Sophia. Here are my some of my overarching comments, questions, and worries:

    -How are we going to fund something like this? I was in elementary school when the bond measure funding our field was passed, and I would want to hear more about the feasibility of getting massive funding like this, and whether it would be routed through the district, Lynbrook Excellence, or something else.
    -Can we create (or see if one already exists) a prioritized list of what our current facilities needs are? I think that would be very helpful for a Negative Nancy like me who wants to know what REALLY needs to be funded, and what is more of an aesthetic benefit.
    -What are the potential issues that arise with doing ANY construction on campus and making any road changes? If a lot of proposed changes are in the front of the school and Johnson Avenue will be affected, will there be any lawsuits from neighbors?
    -If we were to NOT do any facilities construction at all, would we still receive any money (if there is money already earmarked for FUHSD school improvements) and would it be used for internal improvements? What else could this money be used for?
    -Biggest worry of all: that this process will take so long that a) all of us will be 40 and b) the costs will skyrocket to the point that things are half-constructed and worthless.

    Just my two cents, and would greatly appreciate some sort of response from the committee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like in class, a lot of us were taken in by the smaller details, like the swirly tables, or the increased natural lighting, or the "state of the art" weight room. While this all sounds amazing, I had some issues with the general idea, many or which are similar to what Amit and Sophia said.

    1. Funding. When I asked this question in class, I received no response. All I got was a general timeline, which is great, but the fact is we don't have a lot of money for this. Yes, there may be money from the district, but it's not even close to the amount we will need. A major home remodel can cost upwards of $300,000, and we're looking to build several new buildings, so this will cost several million dollars. Many parents will be reluctant to contribute to such a long term project, because their child will not ever reap the benefits of it.
    2. Necessity. How much do we really need these? We have a fully functioning weight room, dance studio, several science labs, flex lab spaces that do sometimes go unused, a blackbox theater, a large art studio, etc. The only construction I see as necessary is the increased outdoor workspaces. Most of these improvements seem aesthetically focused. I'd like to see the prioritized list Amit mentions.
    3. Timeline. Do we really want Lynbrook to be a mess of wire fences and hardhats for the next several years. Even the Viking boat took the better part of last year, and it's such a small construction- how long would a two story building take?
    4. The field construction faced opposition from many neighbors. What if we go through the same process agin.

    Just some thoughts, hope you will take them into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As everyone else mentioned, I'm really trying to think about where this funding is coming from. I couldn't agree more with Sophia because the resources that directly impact the students is a lot more important than how the school looks.

    I am also considered that we are going to lose a lot of things that we recently got like the Flex Lab and the new drama room. Just because we are adding more things, we should still make use of the things that we worked so hard to receive. In addition, I'm still wondering when all of this would be done.

    That's all for now!

    ReplyDelete