Hey everyone!
I would love to hear your feedback on the hearts project. Please comment on what you liked and why you liked it and on what could be improved and why (give suggestions). Please make sure this is constructive feedback (i.e goes beyond just stating what you liked or didn't like).
Love,
Divs
I would love to hear your feedback on the hearts project. Please comment on what you liked and why you liked it and on what could be improved and why (give suggestions). Please make sure this is constructive feedback (i.e goes beyond just stating what you liked or didn't like).
Love,
Divs
I thought the overall hearts project was a huge success. There were some issues along the way, but that is to be expected.
ReplyDeleteA few things:
- Starting the cutting out of the hearts earlier would have been better
- It was unclear as to who was needed on Friday morning, it seemed as if it was only those who put the posters up
- The posters were extremely crowded, and monitoring seemed incredibly difficult and nearly impossible
On the other hand, the event was a great success in that people were coming out to sign hearts and claim them. The monitoring that happened did help remove some of the negative comments and illustrations as well.
Overall, good job to everyone for making this possible, and it is certainly a success.
I do think that it went a lot better this year than it did last year. We had more participation, and overall I saw a lot fewer negative comments on hearts, since everyone seemed to know that ASB was monitoring.
ReplyDeletePros:
- Involved the entire student body, and everyone seemed to enjoy it
- Good promo -- people seemed to know about it (Thanks PR!)
Cons:
- As we discussed in class, not a lot of people showed up this morning on time, which led to a disorganized execution. Maybe next time we should make the time earlier, since people tend to show up late no matter what.
- Lots of hearts were sloppy or cut out hastily. I feel like although tedious projects like this may seem insignificant, I feel like if I had received a badly cut out heart, it would have been very discouraging, so i think that we should focus on neater writing and better cut-out hearts.
- People complained about not being able to pick up their heart (not our fault though, just an observation)
Overall, big improvement from last year, and I look forward to seeing this project again in the future!
Pros:
ReplyDelete1. Rather than having a couple people cut everything out (like last year), everyone cut 60 out which made things more equal and distributed.
2. There was more participation this year than there was last year.
Cons:
1. From start to finish there was a lack of organization caused by people not doing what they were supposed to do by when it was supposed to be done. Hearts came to the students late, students didn't finish their hearts on time (which caused messy hearts and bad writing like Sophia talked about), people didn't finish their posters on time, people didn't show up on the morning of, people didn't monitor their posters. I think part of the problem is that everyone was so burned out by the workload, but also, everyone needs to stop putting leadership at the bottom of their priority list! I guess the only way to really counter this would be to start even earlier and to keep track of attendance and give some sort of repercussion for not showing up.
2. I think there should have been 1-2 people at each site designated as runners so that we could keep up the communication between the different areas. There were many points when one area didn't have tape or one area didn't have a sharpie, so having someone who wasn't a monitor ready to go get more materials would be helpful.
Pros:
ReplyDelete1) I liked the system of everyone having an equal number to cut out/ write names on
2) Lots of people enjoyed them (at least freshmen) and people were pumped about it
Cons:
1) There were at least 7-10 people who came up to me and told me how their names weren't on the poster or they couldn't find their heart, which made them feel unimportant or just generally upset
2) Like what Arnav said, a lot of people were rushing to finish hearts and I also saw a lot of people whose names were spelt wrong as well.
3) I think we should tell people to alphabetize their hearts BEFORE turning them in just to make the whole process smoother.
Other than that, I think it was really enjoyable and I was glad I got to be a part of it :)
This is Sarah Kim, still somehow cannot change "saki97".
ReplyDeleteThe hearts event was truly a great way for the school to be united by saying nice things about each other. There were definitely less penis drawn on the hearts and the monitoring went very well. A lot of the students wrote on it during brunch and lunch and during class periods for those who had holes but it wasn't enough time for people to finish writing on the hearts they wanted to write on.
There were typos with names (Ervin was written as Erwin), messy handwriting, not only un-alphabetized, the p's were after the y's and people were confused with the placings. This was due to procrastination of our work and lack of cooperation when it was needed.
Props to Divya to pull this through!!!!!!
Loved the hearts, its definitely a keeper.
p.s:as monitors we should focus more on writing nice comments on the hearts that have no writing on rather than our friends because I saw one person from my area getting hurt because there was nothing written on the heart. The person ripped it off and crumpled it. :[
Pros:
ReplyDelete-much easier to cut than a few people staying until 6pm to cut out perfect hearts. "Let's celebrate our inherent human imperfection"
-people were happy about it, big in-your-face event for the day
-fewer drawings of specific male genitalia and mean words than last year
-awesome way to spend the last day before February break
-something we should definitely continue; it's uniting
Cons:
-as Arnav said, people did not show up on time (or at all) for what they were supposed to show up to. Part of this was likely faulty communication on part of ASBOs, but just like last year, this project exposed who really cares about leadership and who uses this as another line item on their resume. It shouldn't be that way. ASBOs -- 6:45 means 6:45 (I ran to 506 because I thought I was late at 6:50am, I was the first person there), others -- 7:00 means 7:00, not 7:20.
-Next year we need to be excused from 6th period as well, so that we can keep up the posters for a little longer and people can get their hearts down during the passing period to 6th...felt bad for telling some people that I had already thrown away their hearts
-Like "saki97" said, more writing on empty hearts, not our friends' hearts. I didn't write a single thing on any of my friends' hearts because I only wrote people who didn't have anything. I think it's something we all can do.
Pros:
ReplyDeleteI felt that the school responded really well to this event (compared to last year) and I got a lot of positive feedback. I felt this event really brought people joy (as cheesy as that may sound). I think as a class we did a really great job on making everyone in this school feel special. For example, a student came during brunch to look at his heart, when he realized nothing was written on it he walked away discouraged. I know all the monitors stayed a little after brunch to make sure that everyone had a note on their heart. When this person came back during lunch to pick up their heart, I could see the happiness when he realized that someone had written on his/her heart. Even if it was just a simple "happy valentine's day!", it seemed to really make a difference.
Cons:
I honestly thought we did a pretty good job leading up to the day of the event. I didn’t feel rushed in cutting the hearts or writing the names. I felt that Divya gave us plenty of time to complete the task. I think sometimes we forget that leadership is also a class and at times we do have to do work outside of class. I think it got a little chaotic and disorganized day of the event. Of course it’s uncontrollable but people who came late made it really difficult to put up posters on time. It was pretty hard to monitor the posters while people were writing which required us to stay a little longer than 5 minutes after brunch to check everything.
Okay this might sound king of bad but I honestly didn’t think we did a great job of promoing BUT I felt like once people got to school and saw the hearts around campus, they got really excited. I saw crowds of people just waiting to get to the hearts so I definitely think we should keep this event. I don’t think the event was necessarily disorganized but I think our execution could have been better.
P.S. I agree with Mira Thekdi that we should probably alphabetize the hearts before (When first taping the hearts to the poster, I tried to keep them as alphabetized as I could, but it got really difficult when the packages came out of order)
P.S.S Props to Divya for putting up with everyone and making sure this event was continued!
Pros:
ReplyDelete-Everyone contributed equally
-More people knew about it/weren't confused as to what was going on
-Increased participation with it being a part of the Spoons challenge
-Overall, it was definitely a success, and contributed to a positive environment at school on Friday
-I saw it all over my Instagram, so people definitely like the idea and found it Instagram-worthy HAHA
Deltas:
-It's disappointing that we somehow missed a good portion of the junior hearts. We did a great job finding them and quickly making a poster, but a lot of people came up to me looking for their hearts, and we couldn't find them
-It's not okay to cut hearts out 2 minutes before class in the fastest way possible. I understand that 60 hearts seems like a lot, but some people put more effort into cutting out than others, and it definitely showed when we put the hearts up.
-As leadership, we should make sure that every single person has something written on their heart. I saw a couple of disappointed people walking away with blank hearts, and it just made me really sad. I wrote on this one girl's heart who had nothing on it, saying "Happy Valentine's Day! You are an amazing person!" anonymously and I saw her looking at it and smiling later- that's what we want to create for everyone.
-It was really hard to monitor during breaks -- too many people.
- Take down should be after school. I feel like people would appreciate the extra time to go around. I personally only got to the junior class, while I wanted to write on all of the other classes, but I couldn't because I didn't have enough time.
Overall, great job guys! We really came together and pulled this off! Props to Divs for being the BEST ASB Prez ever!
Pros:
ReplyDelete1. The work was spread out equally
2. Once people saw the posters, they got really excited/happy
3. I feel like a lot more people were out there writing on hearts compared to last year (also because they knew what was going on)
4. The extra hearts made it really easy for us to fix negative comments
5. much less negativity than last year
Deltas:
1. It would have been nice if we could've extended the time that the hearts were put up because I know some people who couldn't get their hearts in time and we had already taken the posters down.
2. It was pretty hard to monitor hearts while everyone was writing (which I guess is a good thing since so many people participated)
3. I did see a certain teacher's heart that did have inappropriate comments on it. I felt that it was pretty disrespectful to the teacher, but I'm not sure how we could realistically prevent that from happening.
Overall, I felt like it was definitely a success! Just some things to think about/work on for next year.
Pros:
ReplyDelete1) Started a lot earlier and gave us more time to plan.
2) Students appreciated the hearts.
3) Good job controlling the bad comments.
Cons:
1) The teacher hearts were rather rushed and didn't have many signatures which made them feel bad.
2) Some people did not come on time in the morning which made it hard to get all the hearts out and disappointed some people.
3) Teacher hearts should be monitored as well!
Woops, wrote my heart feedback on the Love Week Debrief. Divya, look there for my feedback :)
ReplyDeletePros: A lot of students knew about the hearts and were excited for it, so I think we did a good job in terms of promo! It was also a good idea to have leadership students monitor the hearts because I didn't see a lot of bad comments. When I did see a bad comment, I was able to easily cross it out with a black sharpie or to replace the heart with a new one. Especially because there was the spoons trump card challenge that involved writing nice notes on other people's hearts, there was a looooot of participation and the posters were crowded all throughout brunch and lunch.
ReplyDeleteCons: It was pretty hectic getting all of the posters up before school since a lot of people showed up late. I don't think we provided enough time for people to sign hearts, and I think we should've kept them up a little bit longer because there were a couple people that came to get their hearts a couple minutes after lunch ended but the posters were already thrown away.
Pros: I wasn't in Leadership last year, so I can't really compare it to anything, but it seemed really successful. People swarmed the posters to the point where I couldn't see what was being written, but if anything was inappropriate, the heart was replaced immediately. Overall, the hearts did an effective job of making everyone feel loved.
ReplyDeleteCons: A lot of people showed up late on Friday, making everything chaotic and disorganized. I think we should have allowed people to pick up their hearts after school because there were still a lot of hearts that were left on the posters that were thrown away.
I, like Jimmy, was not in Leadership last year so I can't compare it to previous years but it seemed like it went well despite a few set backs. I think there could've been a little more communication to the class versus getting a talk after the fact. This is just because people did have stuff to do which made it extremely hard to commit fully to the hearts project. Like some people were leaving out of town during the hearts making, leaving town when people were supposed putting up hearts, some people couldn't get a ride that early, etc. So maybe next time a clear list of who needs to do what next time? I don't know I thought we pulled through really well though :)
ReplyDeleteMost of what I've wanted to say has already been said.
ReplyDeleteHopefully I'm not being redundant here.
Pros:
Huge participation(from the freshmen at least). There was always a crowd around the hearts.
Cons:
From what I could tell not many of the teacher hearts were written on.
A suggestion: promoting the event directly to the staff(through their google group?), so that staff are more inclined to write kind notes to each other.
One cause for this is that unlike the class posters, the teacher hearts were very scattered, making it inconvenient for people to write messages.
One possible solution: Centralizing the teacher's hearts on large posters like we did with the class posters and organizing them by department, then delivering the hearts to teachers after school.
Hearts were, in my opinion, thrown away too early. More people could have taken their hearts down if ASB took down the posters, say 5 minutes after 7th. Extending that period of time shouldn't be too much of a hassle for cleanup volunteers, but could give many more people the opportunity to write and retrieve their hearts.
Pros:
ReplyDeleteIt was a great opportunity to give random compliments to people and for people to receive random compliments. A lot of people were looking forward to writing on these hearts which was also awesome.
Cons:
It was kinda hard for people to find hearts that they wanted to keep or write on so we could keep like last name guiders for the future. There were a lot of inside jokes written on the hearts and some or most of us didn't know whether to cross these things out or not. For the most part the comments were very clean and it was very clear to the student body that nothing harsh or profane was to be written on these hearts.
I loved the hearts project! But it disheartened me to see so many of them thrown away. A lot of people came up to me after school, and I'm sure that people came up to others in this class as well, asking where the hearts were. When I told them that we threw them away, they were shocked and pretty sad.
ReplyDeleteThe monitoring was also difficult. I, along with my partner, found ourselves being unable to look at what people were writing on hearts due to the crowd. Most of our work was done within the five minutes after brunch and five minutes before lunch. Also, when I crossed out a negative comment a minute or so after it was written, the person came back and wrote it again. We replaced the heart, but I felt I needed to add that on aha.
Overall, I feel like it could have been done better. It was definitely carried out better than last year, but there is definitely room for improvement. I like the idea of the hearts and I'd love to have them next year :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePROS:
ReplyDelete-A lots of the student body was participating and they really seem to enjoy it
CONS:
-Although we tried to monitor what was being written on the hearts it was difficult to see what people were writing during lunch and brunch so I think it would be better to only spend time after and before lunch and brunch when there are less people.
-The quality of the hearts were different. So, it seemed like some were nicer than others.
It was a great event and I think we were able to pull it off really well.
Pros:
ReplyDelete- It was great that we were able to replace hearts due to the negative comments that some people would have received.
- The crowd showed a good amount of enthusiasm and participation.
- People seemed happier after they saw the good notes from their friends.
Cons:
- Extremely crowded during brunch and lunch so it was really hard to get close to the hearts for monitoring. I think the problem would not be as bad if the students were allowed more time to write on the hearts.
- Some people not only wrote bad stuff, but they also trash-talked about the person near the hearts.
- Some people could not find their hearts. so I think we should make sure everything is in alphabetical order.