Rally Pros: easy theme for decs, all of the classes had nice and elaborate decorations, lots of sports teams included Cons: theme was also perceived as cliche/overused from sophomore year when we did disney disaster, maybe improve upon organization on games ahead of time because many classes were confused, too many sports teams included with repetitive transitions so maybe find some other ways to incorporate them by using certain teams for games instead of just cheers, a few awkward pauses between script making it awkward for classes to know whether or not to cheer
Spirit Week cute cover photos! stuffed animal day, formal day were well-received, not much to do with spirit week outfits besides instagram, let people take photos at school in the quad or give out candy to those who dressed up? bling day was hard for some boys, movie fan day was a little broad so maybe more examples, overall just focus on more incentive- candy, free food, raffles?
Instagram- I liked the idea of the challenge but I think a lot of people still don't have access to Instagram/too lazy to make accounts, also many people have private instagrams so they couldn't be included in the challenges
Facebook group- I felt like we didn't need another group, just added more clutter to people's pages and didn't have a super clear purpose. This could just be achieved with an event page with the same info possibly.
Overall, I had a lot of fun dressing up for spirit days and the rally! I also liked the earlier date since later on, other events start to get cluttered with the rally.
Pros: -the spirit week was a lot better than the last one in terms of being more creative and easy to dress up for -the games were WAY easier to understand -the energy was up a bunch and it made the whole rally more fun -LOVED the song game
Cons: -I didn't understand the script as much as the other rallies for some reason, and it was kind of hard to hear spirit -i don't think the 'most likes' category for the instagram challenge was a very fair one because there were a lot of ways people could get likes in a cheating-ish way (Tags for likes and other such tags) -It would be good if you explained what the mr. and mrs. vikings do to get the award (people were asking) -the instagram challenge was not publicized well because only 50 people were invited to the FB group for it (it wouldn't let us invite people outside of the "Lynbrook Spirit" group)
Pros: - Incorporating school spirit in games (again) and the Mr. Dwyer speech was worked in nicely! - Generally a good vibe about school spirit (shoutout to you guys btw for being so supportive and accomodating about us teaming up with the freshmen, we know it was different for you guys) - Formal day was good! People generally like dressing up so it was good that you incorporated a spirit day where people didnt have to go out of their way to get involved
Suggestions - Too many sports recognized, not a lot of general rally spirit - More transparency with how the classes were judged - More publicity for Lynbrook spirit group!
Pros: -The theme was really cute and a lot of people enjoyed it! - I thought the instagram challenge was good and really promoted people to dress up. - The song game was great!
Cons: - I felt the script was kind of choppy and there wasn't much fluidity because there were too many sports to recognize. - Instagram challenge could have been explained better maybe on announcements bc I feel like people still did not know about it or the rules. - I also felt some of the days were hard which discourages people to dress up, but formal day was good! - I thought there should have been more games bc it really keeps the rally going. - I thought Mr. Dwyer's speech was good but many people were confused.
Pros: 1. The theme was pretty easy to work with 2. Spirit days were pretty good (especially with the spoons challenge) 3. The super smash bros game was cool
Deltas: 1. though the super smash bros game was cool, people didn't know who was who and it took some time to get set-up. maybe you guys can announce who is who, and force everyone to be a random player if this happens again? Just to make it go smoother 2. The movie day spirit day was pretty hard to dress up to. You had to have something related to a character or else no one would understand what you are. Other than that the other days were great! 3. Maybe look into editing the rubric to add a decently large section for school unity. just to make people more interested in pursuing lynbrook-based cheers.
Pros: - Theme was cute but a little hard to do theme-wise + it seemed a bit been there done that - Song game is always good (y) - The Instagram challenge really picked up (esp on formal day) and seeing the pictures was really cute -- definitely something to continue doing - Games were simple but interactive/fun
Cons: - Super Smash Bros was hard to cheer for without knowing who was who - I agree that the script seemed like you were just calling out teams without any fluidity, although that probably was because there were so many to get through - Only four people in the gym = set up struggles
Pros: -Theme was easy to make decorations for!! They all looked really really cute. -Spirit Week was good! I wasn't at school Tuesday&Wednesday but from what I heard, lots of people dressed up Wednesday. I think you guys did a really good job changing up the spirit week so that you guys tried something new that strayed from the usual spirit days such as pajama day. -I thought that the rally script was easy to follow, however it was pretty hard to hear what you guys were saying at times.
Cons: -Instagram challenge was limited to people that have/use instagram regularly. For those that don't use instagram, I don't think any of them went out of their ways to create an account to post pictures just to win points for this rally. -A couple of people have mentioned this already, but during super smash we couldn't tell who was who so I wasn't really sure what was going on... -I personally don't think that the LHS Spirit group is necessary on Facebook because I feel like we were already well-informed enough of what was going on through the event page and your posts on the actual Lynbrook High School group.
Sorry if I repeated some things, I tried not to repeat common things that others have said above/below.
Pros: - Spirit Week and the Instagram Challenge were really successful-- I don't have an Instagram, but from what I heard from people who have an Instagram and from what I saw on campus, it's clear that people were willing to go out of their way for either school spirit or for the sake of their class. Doing something similar to the Instagram Challenge again is a must for the future.
- In particular, I agree with everything positive mentioned in other comments related to: Formal Day, the Song Game, and the Theme itself.
Cons: - I found it very odd how there were only four people allowed in the gym the night before... the policy from before was that everyone was allowed extra people in order to match the advantage of juniors/seniors. Now it's almost like everyone got a handicap, which was a very confusing policy.
- I think all the Spirit Days were excellent choices EXCEPT for Thursday (the movie related one), which I thought had significantly lower participation due to the relative difficulty. I mean people could still do it, but it was much more difficult to do anything creative or outside the box.
- Mr. Dwyer's speech was a bit confusing and off-putting... sort of slowed down the rally and dampened the energy
- Since there are so many sports to recognize, I think considering grouping together some sports into a single act of recognition would speed up the rally and help keep up the energy.
-Like some other people said, the Super Smash Bros Brawl game should also have probably included an announcement of which class is represented by which character.
Overall: I thought that this was a great last rally. I know that the Spring Rally is not typically a very energetic rally, and I think considering that you guys (Spirit) did a great job to hype everyone up throughout the entire week and at the rally.
I was sick on Friday so I'm just going to echo a few points that people have already brought up:
1. I commend you guys for trying out new dress-up days. 2. Movie Character Day was a bit hard in my opinion. 3. I didn't think it was necessary to create a separate Spirit FB group. Maybe pinning a post outlining the week on the main page would be enough. 4. I didn't think the video was publicized enough - I think it was buried under a lot of stuff on the page. Maybe we should post the video link with the profile pic changes/statuses. 5. I think it would be interesting if we tried pairing up Freshmen/Seniors and Juniors/Sophomores like Monta Vista's Superheroes and Supervillains rally. Just something to think about in the future. 6. I talked to a few people at Mitty this past weekend and they told me that they recognize achievements outside of sports at these monthly "Pow-wows." I'm just throwing it out there, but maybe groups other than sports could be recognized, kind of like the academic rally we had a few years back.
Pros: Really liked the use of the projector and screens for the super smash game, since everyone could see. As said before try and make sure each class knows who they're cheering for.
I hadn't been here for the previous Disney rally, but I personally liked this rally theme-wise, it was well-known and easier to decorate for.
Spirit week promotion really worked out well, I think rather than "fb spamming" a single post or picture all of us posted separate more personal pictures that attracted more attention. <-- definitely something to keep in mind for future events!
The instagram challenge on top of the spirit week really sort of built up hype for the actual rally on Friday. I'd definitely recommend some sort of more passive challenge like Instagram for the week before future rallies.
Cons: The rally script itself could've used improvement in terms of storyline or just general transitions. There was one section where we just called out sports team after sports team, and it wasn't particularly easy to follow.
Would've been nice to have another game.
Suggestions: Can we release judging rubrics for future rallies to the classes? Or at least the class officers. I think one key part of rallies is seeing improvement or progress, and it'd be extremely helpful just to know where we stand on certain things and where we need improvement.
Spirit Week- Pros: VIDEO!! I think it was a nice touch to make a video. New type of spam was very effective if you were to ask me, it made people actually pay attention instead of seeing your wall filled to the brim with random text that you aren't interested in. Cons: VIDEO!! I messed up the video and switched two of the days, which confused a lot of people. And it was late.
Instagram Challenge: I couldn't tell how effective this was. Many people like me don't have instagrams.
Rally: A lot of technical issues, we pulled through and made it work. Pros: Wii was new and innovative, not the easiest to make it all clear and work properly but was interesting nonetheless. All the sports teams got their few seconds of fame. Decs looked great. Cons: Wii was a pain to set up, and it was super unclear which class was who. Tech problems plagued the sound system. We had so many sports teams that the script was based around shouting out the teams. Nothing much Spirit could have done with that. People still weren't submitting music on time, or even in completely the wrong format and thus didn't have music for their teams. Mr. Dwyer's speech should have started the rally due to the low energy it gives, so people are less likely to lose energy after hearing the speech.
Pros: - The spirit week worked well to get a good amount of people excited. It was well thought to have something different to do each day. As Ian mentioned, the video brought interest to people. - I heard the instagram challenge was easy and fun to participate in even though I didn't have an account for it. - Rally games this time was a lot more interesting. I thought it was smart to bring in ideas of a different type of game that can be competed in. - Promo was a lot better than before, since there were enough likes to get on a lot of newsfeeds on Facebook.
Cons: - I got lost in the middle of the script. It wasn't as straightforward as the previous scripts. Sometimes, I had to guess to catch on. I think rewriting it slightly would make it smooth. - The new Wii game was fun as mentioned above, but it was also confusing for the characters part. It might have been announced who was who, but I didn't hear that. Maybe assign each class a certain color for the characters would have helped.
1. Some spirit days got a lot of participation. Teachers really pushed it as well which made it really fun. 2. Facebook promo was a lot better when not everyone was posting the same picture. Definitely more original and got more attention. 3. The instagram challenge was a great idea but it also served as promo as well. I think promoing that a little more may have helped because it was too clear what the prize was and when they had to do it by, etc. 4. The pizza as a prize was a great idea. Cons: 1. Some spirit days were harder for people to dress up for and did't get much participation. Typically, people do the easy ones that they like( like formal day). Maybe set up a form for suggestions for next year? 2. The rally was really good although a lot of things you couldn't really hear. Try to talk to class officers a little more and tell them to regulate the crowd. 3. I think Mr. Dwyer's speech was a little out of place? Maybe he could do it in the beginning.
Pros: -instagram challenge was a great idea because it really help people get more into the spirit week -I also liked how the pictures of instagram were streaming while we came into the rally -I liked how we went back to different individual themes for each class because I feel that it was easier for classes to decorate their side that way
Cons: -With the technical difficulties some of the sports were awkward when they were called out to cheer -the smash brothers game was a good idea but it was hard to tell who was which grade
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteRally
ReplyDeletePros: easy theme for decs, all of the classes had nice and elaborate decorations, lots of sports teams included
Cons: theme was also perceived as cliche/overused from sophomore year when we did disney disaster, maybe improve upon organization on games ahead of time because many classes were confused, too many sports teams included with repetitive transitions so maybe find some other ways to incorporate them by using certain teams for games instead of just cheers, a few awkward pauses between script making it awkward for classes to know whether or not to cheer
Spirit Week
cute cover photos! stuffed animal day, formal day were well-received, not much to do with spirit week outfits besides instagram, let people take photos at school in the quad or give out candy to those who dressed up? bling day was hard for some boys, movie fan day was a little broad so maybe more examples, overall just focus on more incentive- candy, free food, raffles?
Instagram- I liked the idea of the challenge but I think a lot of people still don't have access to Instagram/too lazy to make accounts, also many people have private instagrams so they couldn't be included in the challenges
Facebook group- I felt like we didn't need another group, just added more clutter to people's pages and didn't have a super clear purpose. This could just be achieved with an event page with the same info possibly.
Overall, I had a lot of fun dressing up for spirit days and the rally! I also liked the earlier date since later on, other events start to get cluttered with the rally.
Pros:
ReplyDelete-the spirit week was a lot better than the last one in terms of being more creative and easy to dress up for
-the games were WAY easier to understand
-the energy was up a bunch and it made the whole rally more fun
-LOVED the song game
Cons:
-I didn't understand the script as much as the other rallies for some reason, and it was kind of hard to hear spirit
-i don't think the 'most likes' category for the instagram challenge was a very fair one because there were a lot of ways people could get likes in a cheating-ish way (Tags for likes and other such tags)
-It would be good if you explained what the mr. and mrs. vikings do to get the award (people were asking)
-the instagram challenge was not publicized well because only 50 people were invited to the FB group for it (it wouldn't let us invite people outside of the "Lynbrook Spirit" group)
In all, the rally was a ton of fun!!
Pros:
ReplyDelete- Incorporating school spirit in games (again) and the Mr. Dwyer speech was worked in nicely!
- Generally a good vibe about school spirit (shoutout to you guys btw for being so supportive and accomodating about us teaming up with the freshmen, we know it was different for you guys)
- Formal day was good! People generally like dressing up so it was good that you incorporated a spirit day where people didnt have to go out of their way to get involved
Suggestions
- Too many sports recognized, not a lot of general rally spirit
- More transparency with how the classes were judged
- More publicity for Lynbrook spirit group!
Great job guys :)
Pros: -The theme was really cute and a lot of people enjoyed it!
ReplyDelete- I thought the instagram challenge was good and really promoted people to dress up.
- The song game was great!
Cons: - I felt the script was kind of choppy and there wasn't much fluidity because there were too many sports to recognize.
- Instagram challenge could have been explained better maybe on announcements bc I feel like people still did not know about it or the rules.
- I also felt some of the days were hard which discourages people to dress up, but formal day was good!
- I thought there should have been more games bc it really keeps the rally going.
- I thought Mr. Dwyer's speech was good but many people were confused.
Overall great job spirit!
Pros:
ReplyDelete1. The theme was pretty easy to work with
2. Spirit days were pretty good (especially with the spoons challenge)
3. The super smash bros game was cool
Deltas:
1. though the super smash bros game was cool, people didn't know who was who and it took some time to get set-up. maybe you guys can announce who is who, and force everyone to be a random player if this happens again? Just to make it go smoother
2. The movie day spirit day was pretty hard to dress up to. You had to have something related to a character or else no one would understand what you are. Other than that the other days were great!
3. Maybe look into editing the rubric to add a decently large section for school unity. just to make people more interested in pursuing lynbrook-based cheers.
Pros:
ReplyDelete- Theme was cute but a little hard to do theme-wise + it seemed a bit been there done that
- Song game is always good (y)
- The Instagram challenge really picked up (esp on formal day) and seeing the pictures was really cute -- definitely something to continue doing
- Games were simple but interactive/fun
Cons:
- Super Smash Bros was hard to cheer for without knowing who was who
- I agree that the script seemed like you were just calling out teams without any fluidity, although that probably was because there were so many to get through
- Only four people in the gym = set up struggles
Nice rally!
Pros:
ReplyDelete-Theme was easy to make decorations for!! They all looked really really cute.
-Spirit Week was good! I wasn't at school Tuesday&Wednesday but from what I heard, lots of people dressed up Wednesday. I think you guys did a really good job changing up the spirit week so that you guys tried something new that strayed from the usual spirit days such as pajama day.
-I thought that the rally script was easy to follow, however it was pretty hard to hear what you guys were saying at times.
Cons:
-Instagram challenge was limited to people that have/use instagram regularly. For those that don't use instagram, I don't think any of them went out of their ways to create an account to post pictures just to win points for this rally.
-A couple of people have mentioned this already, but during super smash we couldn't tell who was who so I wasn't really sure what was going on...
-I personally don't think that the LHS Spirit group is necessary on Facebook because I feel like we were already well-informed enough of what was going on through the event page and your posts on the actual Lynbrook High School group.
Sorry if I repeated some things, I tried not to repeat common things that others have said above/below.
ReplyDeletePros:
- Spirit Week and the Instagram Challenge were really successful-- I don't have an Instagram, but from what I heard from people who have an Instagram and from what I saw on campus, it's clear that people were willing to go out of their way for either school spirit or for the sake of their class. Doing something similar to the Instagram Challenge again is a must for the future.
- In particular, I agree with everything positive mentioned in other comments related to: Formal Day, the Song Game, and the Theme itself.
Cons:
- I found it very odd how there were only four people allowed in the gym the night before... the policy from before was that everyone was allowed extra people in order to match the advantage of juniors/seniors. Now it's almost like everyone got a handicap, which was a very confusing policy.
- I think all the Spirit Days were excellent choices EXCEPT for Thursday (the movie related one), which I thought had significantly lower participation due to the relative difficulty. I mean people could still do it, but it was much more difficult to do anything creative or outside the box.
- Mr. Dwyer's speech was a bit confusing and off-putting... sort of slowed down the rally and dampened the energy
- Since there are so many sports to recognize, I think considering grouping together some sports into a single act of recognition would speed up the rally and help keep up the energy.
-Like some other people said, the Super Smash Bros Brawl game should also have probably included an announcement of which class is represented by which character.
Overall: I thought that this was a great last rally. I know that the Spring Rally is not typically a very energetic rally, and I think considering that you guys (Spirit) did a great job to hype everyone up throughout the entire week and at the rally.
I was sick on Friday so I'm just going to echo a few points that people have already brought up:
ReplyDelete1. I commend you guys for trying out new dress-up days.
2. Movie Character Day was a bit hard in my opinion.
3. I didn't think it was necessary to create a separate Spirit FB group. Maybe pinning a post outlining the week on the main page would be enough.
4. I didn't think the video was publicized enough - I think it was buried under a lot of stuff on the page. Maybe we should post the video link with the profile pic changes/statuses.
5. I think it would be interesting if we tried pairing up Freshmen/Seniors and Juniors/Sophomores like Monta Vista's Superheroes and Supervillains rally. Just something to think about in the future.
6. I talked to a few people at Mitty this past weekend and they told me that they recognize achievements outside of sports at these monthly "Pow-wows." I'm just throwing it out there, but maybe groups other than sports could be recognized, kind of like the academic rally we had a few years back.
Pros:
ReplyDeleteReally liked the use of the projector and screens for the super smash game, since everyone could see.
As said before try and make sure each class knows who they're cheering for.
I hadn't been here for the previous Disney rally, but I personally liked this rally theme-wise, it was well-known and easier to decorate for.
Spirit week promotion really worked out well, I think rather than "fb spamming" a single post or picture all of us posted separate more personal pictures that attracted more attention. <-- definitely something to keep in mind for future events!
The instagram challenge on top of the spirit week really sort of built up hype for the actual rally on Friday. I'd definitely recommend some sort of more passive challenge like Instagram for the week before future rallies.
Cons:
The rally script itself could've used improvement in terms of storyline or just general transitions. There was one section where we just called out sports team after sports team, and it wasn't particularly easy to follow.
Would've been nice to have another game.
Suggestions:
Can we release judging rubrics for future rallies to the classes? Or at least the class officers. I think one key part of rallies is seeing improvement or progress, and it'd be extremely helpful just to know where we stand on certain things and where we need improvement.
Spirit Week-
ReplyDeletePros:
VIDEO!! I think it was a nice touch to make a video.
New type of spam was very effective if you were to ask me, it made people actually pay attention instead of seeing your wall filled to the brim with random text that you aren't interested in.
Cons:
VIDEO!!
I messed up the video and switched two of the days, which confused a lot of people. And it was late.
Instagram Challenge: I couldn't tell how effective this was. Many people like me don't have instagrams.
Rally:
A lot of technical issues, we pulled through and made it work.
Pros:
Wii was new and innovative, not the easiest to make it all clear and work properly but was interesting nonetheless.
All the sports teams got their few seconds of fame.
Decs looked great.
Cons:
Wii was a pain to set up, and it was super unclear which class was who.
Tech problems plagued the sound system.
We had so many sports teams that the script was based around shouting out the teams. Nothing much Spirit could have done with that.
People still weren't submitting music on time, or even in completely the wrong format and thus didn't have music for their teams.
Mr. Dwyer's speech should have started the rally due to the low energy it gives, so people are less likely to lose energy after hearing the speech.
Pros:
ReplyDelete- The spirit week worked well to get a good amount of people excited. It was well thought to have something different to do each day. As Ian mentioned, the video brought interest to people.
- I heard the instagram challenge was easy and fun to participate in even though I didn't have an account for it.
- Rally games this time was a lot more interesting. I thought it was smart to bring in ideas of a different type of game that can be competed in.
- Promo was a lot better than before, since there were enough likes to get on a lot of newsfeeds on Facebook.
Cons:
- I got lost in the middle of the script. It wasn't as straightforward as the previous scripts. Sometimes, I had to guess to catch on. I think rewriting it slightly would make it smooth.
- The new Wii game was fun as mentioned above, but it was also confusing for the characters part. It might have been announced who was who, but I didn't hear that. Maybe assign each class a certain color for the characters would have helped.
Pros:
ReplyDelete1. Some spirit days got a lot of participation. Teachers really pushed it as well which made it really fun.
2. Facebook promo was a lot better when not everyone was posting the same picture. Definitely more original and got more attention.
3. The instagram challenge was a great idea but it also served as promo as well. I think promoing that a little more may have helped because it was too clear what the prize was and when they had to do it by, etc.
4. The pizza as a prize was a great idea.
Cons:
1. Some spirit days were harder for people to dress up for and did't get much participation. Typically, people do the easy ones that they like( like formal day). Maybe set up a form for suggestions for next year?
2. The rally was really good although a lot of things you couldn't really hear. Try to talk to class officers a little more and tell them to regulate the crowd.
3. I think Mr. Dwyer's speech was a little out of place? Maybe he could do it in the beginning.
Pros:
ReplyDelete-instagram challenge was a great idea because it really help people get more into the spirit week
-I also liked how the pictures of instagram were streaming while we came into the rally
-I liked how we went back to different individual themes for each class because I feel that it was easier for classes to decorate their side that way
Cons:
-With the technical difficulties some of the sports were awkward when they were called out to cheer
-the smash brothers game was a good idea but it was hard to tell who was which grade
GREAT JOBS GUYS!!(: